Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your favorite "Big Bank" CC

tag
Established Contributor

What is your favorite "Big Bank" CC

My favorite big bank CC is US Bank.

I like the soft pull $1500 CLI every six months feature of this card. I have not had an AA yet with US Bank and it has fair APR of 9.9%.

(Please no CUs)

Message Edited by plasticman on 08-31-2009 07:53 AM
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

Re: What is your favorite " Big Bank" CC

Plasticman----I would have agreed as of last Friday, but my statement Saturday gave me some grave doubts.

My $15,000 cl was reduced to $500.  Calling the csrs did not yield any results beyond the 7-10 day letter.  Thank goodness for this site and the backdoor numbers.  An underwriter alluded to the idea that USB softed me on Saturday and found my TU to be in the 500s.  As of 8/1/09, my TU was 797 and on Saturday morning it was 786 (new account--expected 11 point drop).

Obviously the information from TU was incorrect.  The underwriter said that I must use a hard pull to correct this.  My issue was obvious: bad information - major account AA - no one vetted any of the data - my hard pull to correct.

I will be seeing USB in person today to see about their appetite to correct this.  While I am hopeful, I have enough accounts (by plan) to deal with this and 3-4 more AAs, should they occur.

USB would have been my favorite, but Wells Fargo has that position now, pending USB's decision on correcting the error on their dime (pull).

Message Edited by FocusOnFICO on 08-31-2009 07:54 AM

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is your favorite "Big Bank" CC

My favorite "big bank" card is BoA BankAmericard Reward Visa.  The rewards are decent at 1.5%, can use as a BillPay pay source (counts as non-reward purchase), APR is better than my PenFed Platinum, slightly.  Also, the rewards can be transferred to any deposit account, taken as a check or transferred to another BoA customer deposit account.

Only real downsides would be if you wanted a cash advance....4% fee.  But

Message Edited by txjohn on 08-31-2009 08:38 AM
Message 3 of 18
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

txjohn,

I have been thinking about switching my BofA card to the BankAmericard rewards visa. What I see is that the rewards are 1% with some increase for the first 6 months. Where did you see the 1.5% rewards? 

To answer the OP questions I really like my wife's Fidelity Card by FIA card services (BofA). I also like my REI Visa by US Bank--for the credit limit and stability; however, the rewards are not great.

Cheers! 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cobaltnv wrote:

txjohn,

I have been thinking about switching my BofA card to the BankAmericard rewards visa. What I see is that the rewards are 1% with some increase for the first 6 months. Where did you see the 1.5% rewards? 

To answer the OP questions I really like my wife's Fidelity Card by FIA card services (BofA). I also like my REI Visa by US Bank--for the credit limit and stability; however, the rewards are not great.

Cheers! 

Clarification:  1% first $10,000 in annual spending, $1.25% above $10,000.  I get to the $10k rather quickly.

Message 5 of 18
KimberH
New Contributor

I doubt anyone will say Chase here...

Smiley Wink

"Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into" Ollie
Message 6 of 18
Established Contributor

@FocusOnFICO wrote:

Plasticman----I would have agreed as of last Friday, but my statement Saturday gave me some grave doubts.

My $15,000 cl was reduced to $500.  Calling the csrs did not yield any results beyond the 7-10 day letter.  Thank goodness for this site and the backdoor numbers.  An underwriter alluded to the idea that USB softed me on Saturday and found my TU to be in the 500s.  As of 8/1/09, my TU was 797 and on Saturday morning it was 786 (new account--expected 11 point drop).

Obviously the information from TU was incorrect.  The underwriter said that I must use a hard pull to correct this.  My issue was obvious: bad information - major account AA - no one vetted any of the data - my hard pull to correct.

I will be seeing USB in person today to see about their appetite to correct this.  While I am hopeful, I have enough accounts (by plan) to deal with this and 3-4 more AAs, should they occur.

USB would have been my favorite, but Wells Fargo has that position now, pending USB's decision on correcting the error on their dime (pull).

Message Edited by FocusOnFICO on 08-31-2009 07:54 AM

Ouch!

Sorry to hear of this US Bank mess. I, for one, will be very interested to hear about the final result.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 18
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

I will keep you posted.  I had expected to drop about 1/2 of my other accounts as I credit garden and the banking industry redefines itself, but I have to admit that outside of an antiquated website, USB was right up there at the top of my choices for a permanent relationship.

I should find out today what their plan will be to resolve.  If it's a hard inquiry that will not be removed, I will feel like the mistake and the inability/desire to correct it on their own will most likely get the account canceled by the close of business today.  While not vetting drastic AAs for the information given is a serious issue, not resolving it on their own would be worse.

I am hopeful that mine is an isolated event and that the posters here that have USB in their credit portfolio will continue to be very satisfied--as I was until Saturday.

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 18
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Favorite money center bank of all time: Wachovia Bank, NA. Best customer service ever! Too bad they screwed up. I hope I like WF as much.

Earlier in my life it was Chemical Bank. They treated me very well right up until, and I guess even after my disaster occurred. I was both a personal (banking and credit) and business (banking) customer. Around the time of my disaster they bought Chase Manhattan Bank and changed their name. Strangest purchase of all time. It's been all downhill from there.

ETA: Oh dear! I overlooked the fact that this was a CC question. Of my "Big Bank" CC's my favorites would have to be:

1) Discover Card (Yes, DFS is a big bank!)

2) Citi

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 08-31-2009 06:11 PM
Message 9 of 18
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

1a) Citibank 1b) US Bank 1c) Chase

I am equally pleased with all 3 for different reasons: all have been very generous with CL's; CLI's (Citi & US Bank); Low APR's (Chase & Citi); and BT offers (Chase, Citi & US Bank).

[4/23] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 5, TU 1. AoOA=14.8y, AoYA=9m.
TCL $618K: Personal $512K, Business $106K.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.