cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your favorite "local" neighborhood CU whom offers a CC product?

tag
Established Contributor

What is your favorite "local" neighborhood CU whom offers a CC product?

As HTSU stated in another thread they are not written about much here. It is clear there are members from all over the country whom might benefit from such local CU information.

My favorite local credit union is Truwest based in Scottsdale,Arizona. My current VISA  CC has an APR of 8.9%. I also have a mortgage with them.

I do not have a single complaint to express about them and have done business with them for many years.

Message Edited by plasticman on 08-29-2009 06:54 PM
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

Re: What is your favorite "local" neighborhood CU whom offers a CC product?

Plasticman--great thread--I've been wondering that myself.

I have been with Matadors Community Credit Union (Cal State Northridge alumni) for many years.  Great customer service and good loan products.  CCs have been moved to Elan Financial recently, so we'll see.

Another is E1 Financial Credit Union (Downtown L.A.).  They are also great and their CC is 8.9%, no issues.

I'm sure there are a lot of good CUs out there.

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 34
boireann
Regular Contributor

Burbank Federal CU in Burbank, CA.  They've shown me a lot of love over the years.  And a lot of unexpected love just recently.  Upped my CC limit without asking and lowered my rate down to 8.99.

Pretty sure I'm going to open a second savings account of some sort at Universal City Studios CU in LA as well.  

Message Edited by boireann on 08-29-2009 09:23 PM
01/07 scores: Too scared to find out after looking at my free CRA reports
03/08 scores: TU: 660 EQ: 646 EX: 624
09/09 scores: TU: 735 EQ: 778 EX: ???
02/10 scores: TU: 779 EQ: 801 EX: 798 (home loan officer pull)
03/14 scores: TU 799 EQ: 809 EX: 817 (car loan credit union pull)
All that hard work paid off!!!! I'm now a happy home owner with an awesome interest rate!

CC Limits Garden Amex Clear $23000, USAA World Amex $15000, USAA Wold MasterCard $15000, BECU Visa $10,000, PenFed Visa $15000. Took a long time to get nice limits and low interest from that first app to BECU for $500 when I first started cleaning up my reports.
Message 3 of 34
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I post a caution at this time: My local CU, Eastern Financial (EFFCU) is in financial hot water and in the process of merging with (subsumed by) Space Coast CU (SCCU). It's been business as usual throughout the entire process, but until the dust settles I would be wary. I do not have a CC with them. I know CC's were farmed out before the changes started and I have no idea how that part of the CU will be working once the two CU's are unified. Post merger this will be a fairly large CU and possibly quite a good one.

http://www.effcu.org/default.aspx?id=2744

Message 4 of 34
score_building
Senior Contributor

Hudson Valley in NY.  the current variable rate offered on visa platinum 6.0% joined this year on my bday and the initial CL they offered was double highest current CL, they also offered a 1.9% BT to select customers and good promo auto loan rate. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mayo Employee FCU - 6.25% on platinum card.   offer high Cl over 10K  4 star rated.

Message 6 of 34
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, I feel silly saying this, but I don't have revolving credit from our local credit union (UTFCU.) However, we have used them for car financing and for signature loans, and they've been fine. They have usual wonky website that seems to plague so many CU's, and 24/7 phone access via something called Tele-Trans.

In our area (Knoxville/ Oak Ridge, Tennessee), CU's rule. Many are from the original bomb-building, er, research facilities, in Oak Ridge and were known as X-10, Y-12, and K-25 credit unions. They've all changed their names to more palatable versions like ORNL FCU and Enrichment FCU. Then there are umpty-zillion others like TVA Employees CU, Knoxville Teachers FCU, and on and on. (I can hear their radio jingles in my head as I write this.) They're all part of a local network that allows customers to use other CU ATM's fee-free.

Most of my co-workers use CU CC's from these guys and others, and they rave about them. Many of these people are bitter ex-customers of Bank of America and so forth.

The best source of info about local credit unions that I know of is the water fountain/ coffee pot at work.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to admit that my favorite "local" financial institution is not a CU, it's still BoA.

They have the automated ATM's for deposits (and deposits are credited till 8pm).  They give me same day credit on deposits.  They have locations everywhere.  They have fantastic online site and services.  They have a great BillPay.  But, they don't have edeposit.  So I bank locally with them, but I don't use them for new credit, beyond what I all ready had.

I didn't explore local CU's too much, but will down the road.

So, anyone in the Dallas Fort Worth area....what local CU's do you like here?

Message Edited by txjohn on 08-30-2009 01:45 PM
Message 8 of 34
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have to admit that my favorite "local" financial institution is not a CU, it's still BoA.

They have the automated ATM's for deposits (and deposits are credited till 8pm).  They give me same day credit on deposits.  They have locations everywhere.  They have fantastic online site and services.  They have a great BillPay.  But, they don't have edeposit.  So I bank locally with them, but I don't use them for new credit, beyond what I all ready had.

I didn't explore local CU's too much, but will down the road.

So, anyone in the Dallas Fort Worth area....what local CU's do you like here?

I feel pretty much this way about Wachovia - things better not change drastically due to WF or I'll be sliding down the block to BofA and or expanding the scope of my remote ATM thing with PenFed.

Message 9 of 34
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Well, I feel silly saying this, but I don't have revolving credit from our local credit union (UTFCU.) However, we have used them for car financing and for signature loans, and they've been fine. They have usual wonky website that seems to plague so many CU's, and 24/7 phone access via something called Tele-Trans.

In our area (Knoxville/ Oak Ridge, Tennessee), CU's rule. Many are from the original bomb-building, er, research facilities, in Oak Ridge and were known as X-10, Y-12, and K-25 credit unions. They've all changed their names to more palatable versions like ORNL FCU and Enrichment FCU. Then there are umpty-zillion others like TVA Employees CU, Knoxville Teachers FCU, and on and on. (I can hear their radio jingles in my head as I write this.) They're all part of a local network that allows customers to use other CU ATM's fee-free.

Most of my co-workers use CU CC's from these guys and others, and they rave about them. Many of these people are bitter ex-customers of Bank of America and so forth.

The best source of info about local credit unions that I know of is the water fountain/ coffee pot at work.

I like this name! Nice double meaning!

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.