cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your opinion on citi double cash?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is your opinion on citi double cash?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I've got the Freedom, Discover It, BCE, and DC. They all get used. Freedom & Discover for rotating categories, BCE for groceries & Util padding, and the DC for everything else. If I travelled enough for a CSR, I'd get a FU and redeem points through it.. but until that happens, the DC makes more sense for me

Those are the same 4 cards that get all of my spending (except Amazon). I think it's about the perfect set-up for those primarily interested in cash rewards (instead of travel rewards).

Sticking just to cash back, it, as always, depends on how you spend.    If you have heavy gas spend, you want a card that always gives 5% on that, not just a capped 2Q, if grocery spend is very heavy, you want the OBC, in other categories the US Bank Cash + would be a more useful card.

Personally, for those that don't travel, I really wouldn't  strongly recommend the Freedom (outside the bonus) or the Discover after the first year.   Both tie you to what the issuer chooses to reward, rather than letting you having higher earnings in categories that matter to you.

What's the OBC?

Message 61 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I've got the Freedom, Discover It, BCE, and DC. They all get used. Freedom & Discover for rotating categories, BCE for groceries & Util padding, and the DC for everything else. If I travelled enough for a CSR, I'd get a FU and redeem points through it.. but until that happens, the DC makes more sense for me

Those are the same 4 cards that get all of my spending (except Amazon). I think it's about the perfect set-up for those primarily interested in cash rewards (instead of travel rewards).

Sticking just to cash back, it, as always, depends on how you spend.    If you have heavy gas spend, you want a card that always gives 5% on that, not just a capped 2Q, if grocery spend is very heavy, you want the OBC, in other categories the US Bank Cash + would be a more useful card.

Personally, for those that don't travel, I really wouldn't  strongly recommend the Freedom (outside the bonus) or the Discover after the first year.   Both tie you to what the issuer chooses to reward, rather than letting you having higher earnings in categories that matter to you.

What's the OBC?

Amerian Express Blue Cash, called Old Blue Cash to distinguish it from the Blue Cash Everyday (BCE) and Blue Cash Preferred (BCP)

Message 62 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

The amount you have to spend on the OBC to get to the 5% grocery tier though makes it economically unviable compared to the BCP, even assuming you spend ungodly amounts on groceries. 6%-1%=5% of $6500 is $325 in missed rewards from the BCP vs OBC. Better off just paying the annual fee on the BCP and getting 6% on all groceries.
Message 63 of 70
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Stores want customers to use cash, which has no transaction fee. By giving us cash back, we may be more likely to use cash next time. I suppose we want cash to keep it, but of course we don't, so I don't think much of the card.

Message 64 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The amount you have to spend on the OBC to get to the 5% grocery tier though makes it economically unviable compared to the BCP, even assuming you spend ungodly amounts on groceries. 6%-1%=5% of $6500 is $325 in missed rewards from the BCP vs OBC. Better off just paying the annual fee on the BCP and getting 6% on all groceries.

Well, with enough spend (which we certainly do) on groceries the OBC comes ahead of the BCP, it's not that ungodly, above $11,625 per year

(On the first $6,500, OBC earns $65, the BCP $365  (6% on $6K, 1% on the next $500) and has a $95 fee

So where x is the spend above $6,500, the BCP earns 365+ 0.01x  -95, OBC earns $65 + 0.05x

and the OBC wins when x> 5,125)

But many people don't use the OBC that way, the $6,500 is spend in other ways quickly, and the card gets to 5% earning straight away, which applies to gas and drugstores too

Message 65 of 70
yfan
Valued Contributor

The OBC is no longer open to new applicants, is it?

Message 66 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@yfan wrote:

Yes, it is still available

Message 67 of 70
joltdude
Senior Contributor

I still don't get why the OP doesn't at least give another look to Blispay... So folks think its a flavor of the month.. but its the simplest 2% back, plus their 6mo 0% offers... Even if you use it for a flat out 2% card.. you get the 2% back quickly..... Plus seemingly only one pull at this point... Im using this flavor untill its spent...

-J

Message 68 of 70
yfan
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@yfan wrote:

Yes, it is still available

I don't see it on Amex's website though. How do I find it. I googled, and this page leads to an error.

PS - never mind. Needed to go into incognito mode. Got it now.

Message 69 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

do you max your freedoms quarterly bonus out every time?  If that is the case, then try for CSR in branch, and see how you like it. If after a year, then downgrade to a FU, then to freedom. Regardless you would get $1000 cash, and $300 twice and it covers more than just vacations...

ETA: Love that 5% cu card u have. What a unicorn! Very jealous.

Message 70 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.