Did you mean: 

What is your "I've arrived" Card?

tag
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: What is your "I've arrived" Card?

@kekrre wrote:

@QueenofReinvention wrote:

I don't give two hoots about impressing anybody. Sometimes when you are younger and just starting out, or just some peoples personalities just lend themselves to trying to "impress people." But, to kekkre's point, when you see a person use a card that you KNOW has to be PIF w/in 30 days, and they charge something in excess of 10k, that definitely says something, 'cause I know I couldn't pull out a green AMEX and charge something today for 10k and pay it off in 30 days!

I don't know that was necessarily my point. I was just saying in my experience, a "moderate" Amex has more "wow" than a "top tier" card from another issuer (of course these are all relative). I'm also not certain that anybody who has physically handled my Green for payments knows anything about charge card/revolving credit.

On the other hand, people here make a point about Amex being stingier with its revolvers than its charge cards because they don't know that they'll be getting paid (or else!) in 30 days.

I actually don't like paying in person with my Green, since I don't like the reactions I get when I use it (but I'm in a relativley rural area). I'm fine with the "heavy card" comments on the CSP though.

Probably somewhat regional.   Lots of corporate types around me, and the green Amex is the default corporate card, so they are everywhere and people certainly aren't impressed by them.  (Of course, if you see someone paying you don't know if its corporate or personal, but most don't care either way!)

Anyway, which century are you people living in?  No-one real is impressed now by any credit card, your rank/value is  totally defined by the brand/model of tablet you have brought to the bar/restaurant/game/swimming pool (ok, maybe not the last).

Message 41 of 85
Neat
Valued Member

Anything with a low interest rate because APR above 9% should be a crime. LOL

Amex Green, Signal FCU Platinum Visa, Navy FCU Cash Rewards Visa Sig., Citi Forward Visa, Barclaycard Apple Financing Visa
Message 42 of 85
QueenofReinvention
Contributor

@Neat wrote:

Anything with a low interest rate because APR above 9% should be a crime. LOL

Isn't THAT the truth!

Message 43 of 85
nickn86
Contributor

As someone with no credit two years ago, it was simply getting my first credit card (a $300 limit Chase student card).  After that, all I had to do was let it build for a year or so.  Now it seems that I can pretty much get any card I want (aside from Amex Black and the JP Morgan cards).  Until visiting this board, I didn't realize just how easy it was to get "prestigious" cards as long as you don't have any seriously negative marks on your credit report.

As for the superficial aspect, no one really bats an eye at any of the cards I use, except occasionally for the Discover It (which is funny, because to the non-credit obsessed masses, Discover is usually the least "prestigious" card and the butt of occassional jokes for its acceptance rate).  No one notices/cares when I use the PRG.  I also currently live in a fairly rich college town, so that could be a part of it.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 44 of 85
drkaje
Senior Contributor

When "I've arrived"..... it'll be all cash and one or two of my current cards.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 45 of 85
Open123
Super Contributor

To me, "arrived" has always meant the time at which one has reached in his chosen profession where the demand for his professional services (or whatever he sells) exceeds the supply.  In other words, when there is enough people who want your services (in a competitive environment) to the point where there isn't enough time in a day to meet the demand; thereby, necessitating the raising of the price (or rate) for the good and service.

"Arrived" is when people need you (or, what you sell or have to provide) more than you need them, to the point where you can dicate the terms.  

What card best signifies the above?  The Amex Black comes closes, I suppose.

Message 46 of 85
LesWH
Established Contributor

It's been pretty interesting reading all of the replies. What I meant by "arrived" is when you feel you have reached whatever goal you set for yourself in your credit building or rebuilding journey. impressing others certainly wasn't what I meant.

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 47 of 85
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

The card that I was most excited to get--the one that made me feel like I was really making progress--was my Amex ZYNC.  I had an Amex Gold years ago, but they closed it when I lost my job, my credit went in the toilet, and I couldn't pay the balance on time.  When I got my credit to the point where Amex would take me back, I knew I had reached a milestone.

My next (and really, my last) "I've arrived" CC will come when I get back in with Chase.  Things went bad with my Chase card at the same time as things went bad with my Amex, and I didn't get the balance paid off until Chase had already charged off the account and sold it to a collection agency.  I've already tried to get back in with them twice (once in July and once last month), but still no luck; I'm not completely blaclkisted, since the collection is paid, but they haven't forgotten about the CO, either.  When my credit is good enough that Chase is willing to offer me a CC again, that's when I'll know I'm all the way back.

Message 48 of 85
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I really don't have a use for more cards. Paying them all off and closing a few would be more rewarding than any new plastic,

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 49 of 85
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

When " I arrived "  I would say it was my Amex BCP... Not because of the card itself, But it had a $10,000 CL Smiley Happy also before the Amex it was my Penfed card

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 50 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.