jdsteel731

What is your spending patern with Chase FREEDOM 10+10 program?

We all know that Freedom is a strong no-AF rewards card, especially with rotating 5% categories and the 10+10 program.

My question is regarding your use during the off 5% categories, IF you have other rewards cards in your portfolio. For example, take dining. If you have a card that gives you, let's say, 2% back, what is the cut off for you to switch over from the Freedom to that card? $10? $15 dollars? $20?

Reason why I ask is because I have both the Freedom and an Amex Zync with the restaurants pack, and while it makes sense to use the Freedom for >$10 because you effecitively double your UR points, I'm trying to decide if I should use my Freedom for smaller food purchase, i.e. coffee and fast food, and Zync for everything else. I value MR points slightly higher than UR points, btw (I have an Amex PRG but no Saphhire Preferred, yet).

Established Contributor
dyv8914

Re: What is your spending patern with Chase FREEDOM 10+10 program?

I use Freedom in the 5% categories until the $1500 cap is reached for that quarter. Then I switch over to another card, for dining its Citi Forward. How large or small a transaction is doesn't affect whether I use the card.

Contributor
Pworld

Re: What is your spending patern with Chase FREEDOM 10+10 program?

I have the same set up as you OP (including the 10+10 with the checking account). I do not have enough income to run a lot of money through all my cards at once, so i have to rotate with heavy usage by quarters. 

I run heavily through my freedom when the bonus categories fit my life style (i.e. gas, food, movies). Now that the gas and restuarant program is up, i am running everything through my zync (unless its online which i run through my discover through shop discover store, due to current bonus), not so much for the points, but because i am trying to build my internal credit score so i can apply for a PRG, SPG, or BCP next year. Hopefully the points build up as well so i can use them for travel some time in the future. 

2/2011=EQ: 590
11/2012=EQ: 683 (after 4 card app spree and reporting)
10/2013=EQ: 708 (reached my goal!! for 2013) EX(amex): 668 TU(Disc):680
Goal = 725 by 6/2014
Amex Zync/NPSL | Amex Green/NPSL | AMEX BCP/15k | Chase Freedom/2.2K | Best Buy/800 | Discover IT/6.4K | Citi HHonors Reserve/3K | Chase Hyatt/5k | Sapphire Preffered/9K

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+