tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: What keeps people from doing this?

Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless Amex charge has a pin number like a bank card most stores will not accept and some stores no longer even allow debit cards to be used. Here in New Jersey Walmart and USPS both allow you to use your debit card, but that can get complicated because of daily spending limits. Also no store allows money orders either over 1k or like $1050. The only store that comes to mind that may allow something like that is Kmart. 

Message 22 of 29
taxi818
Super Contributor

@keithB wrote:

Come on. Not again lmao.  Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 29
taxi818
Super Contributor

No. You can pay with. Debit card. That you thought was another credit card.  

Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

maybe amex serve? I think that is a debit card.

Message 25 of 29
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex serve is a reloadable prepaid card from what I remember.

Message 26 of 29
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It is a prepaid card. When merchant processes Serve it will be treated as a credit card.

Message 27 of 29
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Oddly enough, I noticed in line at the local store, someone bought a money order, and pulled out their amex.

This store takes credit cards for money orders, which is odd as many don't.

CC's charge a ton for cash advances, and interest usually starts the second you do it.

So what keeps someone from buying a $2,000 money order, cashing it at their bank, PIF before the due date, and essentially giving themselves a 20-30 day interest free loan?

You answered your own question.

If this was coded as a CA, then interest would accrue immediately with no grace period.

The cardholder would be "giving themselves a 20-30 day 25% interest free loan!"

The odds of this being classed as a purchase are slim to none, IMO.

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 28 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sexy_kitten7 wrote:

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Oddly enough, I noticed in line at the local store, someone bought a money order, and pulled out their amex.

This store takes credit cards for money orders, which is odd as many don't.

CC's charge a ton for cash advances, and interest usually starts the second you do it.

So what keeps someone from buying a $2,000 money order, cashing it at their bank, PIF before the due date, and essentially giving themselves a 20-30 day interest free loan?

You answered your own question.

If this was coded as a CA, then interest would accrue immediately with no grace period.

The cardholder would be "giving themselves a 20-30 day 25% interest free loan!"

The odds of this being classed as a purchase are slim to none, IMO.

It depends on where it is bought.   If it is at a grocery store then it will appear to be a purchase.   Again, despite what people think of the OPs track record, there ARE some stores in some areas where this is possible.   They may charge a $2 fee per $500 MO, but that is cheaper than many alternatives as it avoids gift card fees.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.