Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of CL on a gas card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What kind of CL on a gas card?

Hey all!! Posted the other day that I got my hands (figuratively) on a Phillips 66 card with a $700 SL. I only spend about $40 a month on gas and will PIF but I am curious to know if I should bother asking about CLIs on the card but it might be nice for utilization.....

My Questions:

1. What CL do you guys have on your gas cards?
  2. Do you try to raise it?
  3. If you try and raise it what do you say to the CSR? (Normally I would call and say I'm looking to make a large purchase but that seems a little weird here.....)

Thanks for your feedback!!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: What kind of CL on a gas card?

Why even get a gas card? Wouldnt the BCE from Amex and the Cash rewards from Bank of America be better offerings? the BCE offers 2% CB and the Cash rewards from BoA offers 3%. I would rather avoid those imo

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 2 of 21
ddemari
Super Contributor

I have a BP Visa with a 8k limit and Chevron Visa with a 6k limit. Is 66 a Synch. bank card? And its just the store card, right?

I would call synch bank credit solutions or log in and chat with them, just say can you submit a credit line increase for me? you dont need to say anymore than that. They will ask your income, and how much of a CLI you want. Depending on your TU score, you should get it.There are people on here with 5+ limits on that card. If you need all of that for there who knows lol but if you want some padding, why not! 

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the 66 card is Sync and it's just the store version. I think you're right, I will call.

I wanted this card specifically because the gas station near my home offers the card holders the "cash" price (about $0.05 cheaper per gallon) and then you get $0.05 per gallon in rewards (.10 for the first 90 days). They also work with the Kickback rewards card but I don't put a lot of value on that.

With gas being less than $1.50 per gallon where I am getting at least $0.10 off, 3% is only $0.045. I know that's splitting hairs but it all adds up. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 21
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, the 66 card is Sync and it's just the store version. I think you're right, I will call.

I wanted this card specifically because the gas station near my home offers the card holders the "cash" price (about $0.05 cheaper per gallon) and then you get $0.05 per gallon in rewards (.10 for the first 90 days). They also work with the Kickback rewards card but I don't put a lot of value on that.

With gas being less than $1.50 per gallon where I am getting at least $0.10 off, 3% is only $0.045. I know that's splitting hairs but it all adds up. Smiley Happy

Meh I rather not get a card just for that. I rather just pay the CC price but I generally go to places that offer ssame as cash prices. 

Dang gas is that cheap where you are? It's around $1.96 in NYC

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

there's no reason for a high CL on a gas card. save your open credit for something useful...
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Meh I rather not get a card just for that. I rather just pay the CC price but I generally go to places that offer ssame as cash prices. 

Dang gas is that cheap where you are? It's around $1.96 in NYC

I am in Nebraska, it was $1.46 this morning but it snowed a little so the prices will probably drop a bit more. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
there's no reason for a high CL on a gas card. save your open credit for something useful...

You're the angel on my shoulder. LOL. I kinda assumed that's what I would end up with but was curious what others do.

Message 8 of 21
tcbofade
Super Contributor

OK, so I'll be the devil on the other shoulder...

A $900 CL on a gas card provides a lot of "cushion" on utilization.

...just sayin...  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tcbofade wrote:

OK, so I'll be the devil on the other shoulder...

A $900 CL on a gas card provides a lot of "cushion" on utilization.

...just sayin...  Smiley Happy

LOL. Exactly. Why is this such a hard decision???

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.