cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of credit card usage led to a credit limit increase for you?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What kind of credit card usage led to a credit limit increase for you?

What type of spending behavior led to your credit limit increases?  (Ie zero balance, high usage with early payments, 9%, 30%, ect).  

Were they notable increases?  

What time frame did the increases occur in?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Re: What kind of credit card usage led to a credit limit increase for you?

I have actually got some rather large increases on cards I never used! Depends on the CC Company.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What type of spending behavior led to your credit limit increases?  (Ie zero balance, high usage with early payments, 9%, 30%, ect).  

I got an increase from 1k to 5k on my QS1 two weeks after my second statement. At first I used it heavily, making large payments several times per month. Then I stopped using the card (bc of the low limit). I moved all of my auto bill pays to my Discover card for the double cash back promo. I had been trying for an increase on the QS1 since I got the card and they wouldn't give me anything. It seems like after two weeks of no spending on the QS1 the got generous. I got a 4k increase (and 1k increase on the other card that I had for about 6 weeks at most).

Message 3 of 19
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

BTs are a great way to get a CLI. Of course BTs do cost $$$ (usually 2-3%) so if you do not need to do it, don't.
Message 4 of 19
ddemari
Super Contributor

I have never logged into any of my CC accounts and seen the limit raised without me requesting it soft pull or hard. 

But, I have had conversations with Bank of America on how they gauge CLI's to their credit card customers. 

About a year ago my TU fico would be in the range of 650 to 665 when I had a collection from midland reporting from 2008. Bank of America had had auto increased my credit limit by 3 after I graduated and contacted the EO for a CLI and removal of the annual fee. 

Then 6 months later, I requested a hard pull CLI and was declined. I was a little annoyed because I was using the BOA card souly and running at least 1500 dollars a month through it and paying it off weekly. The credit analyst told me I was declined because my payment amounts were too small. She said they like to see heavy useage and large payments. So even though I was using my card, paying it off and using it again, their computers did not want to help me out. 

But, once the collection was gone in February of this year and my TU fico was in the 720's, I requested a 5k CLI and was approved aftrer not even using the card really for several months. Lower credit score= heavy useage and large payments. Higher credit score and great payment history=the usual approval. 

Message 5 of 19
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Paying in full, paying on time, and keeping my income updated in each lender's systems. Generally, transacting a few hundred per month and paying it off has turned into positive payment history and has gotten me the credit limits you see below. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 6 of 19
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There is no set formula. Don't bother trying to figure it out. For thge most part it can be attributed to heavy use of a card and PIF. However, your credit profile also needs to suppot a credit line increase. Each lender is slightly different. Some want to see you really using up the credit line. Others maynot feel the same way, but all should be PIF. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only card that gives me automatic increases is my Discover card. I'm not sure if it's because I have their student card or not, but I seem to get an increase roughly every 6 months. Went from $500- $750- $1000- $1800. I updated my income recently and that's when it went up to $1800. My friend uses her card a lot unlike me and carries a balance, and she gets larger and more frequent increases than I do.

Message 8 of 19
MT936
Established Contributor

Discover is the best with auto cli in my opinion it's kind of random though nfcu is also great for auto cli just keep your balances low
Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Less than a year ago when I only had three cards (two secured) I didn't even think about credit line increases. I charged and paid in full each month (except Care Credit for extended payment plan.) The credit line increases just popped up on my online statement. It was the consistent paying on time and in full on two of the three cards imho.

In my wallet: Venture 15k; Barclay Ring 12.5k; Discover 10k; PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa 10k; PenFed Promise 10k; CareCredit 7.7k; Amazon Store Card 5k. QS 5k; BA Travel Rewards 3.5k; BA Travel Rewards 3.5k; BA Platinum Visa 2k; Barclay Apple Rewards 2k. Total Credit: 86,200. 7/2-FICO: EQ - 788; TU - 779; EX - 690; Utilization: 10%; GOAL: 780 across the board then 800 across the board. Inquiries: EQ: 7 TU: 6; EX 3; Chapter 13 seven years May, 2015. Reset my garden date to 7/7. Gardening until further notice.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.