cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of stats do I need to be approved for an American Express card?

tag
dytch2220
Regular Contributor

What kind of stats do I need to be approved for an American Express card?

I'm interested in opening an account with American Express (ZYNC).  I know it might still be a while before I clean things up enough to be considered but I'd like to make a goal of this.  What kind of FICO scores and other criteria will I need to pass for acceptance?

Installment Accounts

Revolving Accounts
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What kind of stats do I need to be approved for an American Express card?

Well, I was approved for a Green with a 627 EQ and 67x TU. I only had a CapOne $1,500 CL at 80% perfect payments for 2 years. That was the only thing on all 3 of my reports and a number inquiries... Oh and my income was about $25,000 a year.

Message 2 of 14
dytch2220
Regular Contributor

I just found some info on another site that lists credit cards and the average score that netted success.  Reported as 692 for AmEx Zync.

Installment Accounts

Revolving Accounts
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you PM me that site?

Thanks,

Steven

Message 4 of 14
halos24
Frequent Contributor

Steven I was actually approved for the Zync yesterday and my scores are below.  They pulled Exp that back in Sept was 641 and on avg my scores improved between 15-25 points since then on EQ and TU.  I also have about 10 inquiries, and my bankruptcy is 8.5 years old.  It was a great surprise, but in the last three months I was added to my fathers Discover card that is over 10 years in good standing so I am not sure if that helped. 

I also had checked on the Amex website to see if they ahd any offers for me, it would always so no.  I guess bottom line if you can afford the inquiry then go for it.  I certainly took the chance, and believe me not like I needed any more inquiries and luckily I was approved. 

MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 5 of 14
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Smiley Very Happy
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks mate, I think it's against forum rules to post links just an FYI.

Message 7 of 14
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Oh! Lol i'll take it down, only you know it then I guess haha.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 8 of 14
dytch2220
Regular Contributor

According to **AHEM** that site **AHEM**, here are the easiest to qualify for by score alone:

Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express - 681+

American Express Rewards Green - 691+

American Express ZYNC - 692+

Installment Accounts

Revolving Accounts
Message 9 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Just remember that AmEx has its own inhouse scoring system, using an EX report. Back when we could pull our EX FICO scores, there was sorta-kinda a correspondence between FICO scores and AmEx success. Now it's more of a crapshoot.

Posted scores these days, whether FICO or FAKO, are not a good predictor of AmEx success.

If you're trying to get in with AmEx, just give a long, cold stare at your Experian report, the kind that a total stranger might give. (As opposed to your mom, who might cut you some slack.) They don't like BK's, unpaid collections, and other signs that you might run out on your obligations to your creditors. If you ever burned them in the past, be prepared to repay.

Otherwise, if you're wiling to pony up the annual fee (we're talking the charge cards here), you can probably get in. The weaker and/or shakier your EX report, the more likely that they will keep you on a short lease until you show that you're not a complete chucklehead.

Also, if there's anything odd on your EX report, like addresses off by one digit, or your EX report is "thin" (not much of anything reporting), do realize that they might well pull the other two reports as well. They want to know who they're dealing with.

I * puffy heart * American Express, and I've never had a moment's worth of problems with them, but IMO, their rewards are pretty lame, unless you're in that group of frequent flyers/ frequent diners/ frequent hotelers. (Except for the Costco card, which is semi-OK.) But their CS is great, and the backdating deal is something that no one else has. If I were 22 and looking for a card, you can bet that I'd get an AmEx of some description, just so I could nail down that opening date.

And for all you 22-year-olds who now have a Zync and you're jonesing for a Green or Gold or Plat or whatever, try to remember that there's no hurry. They've been around longer than you have. You can wait. Paying a big chunk of change for what, a piece of plastic? That might not seem that interesing 11 months from now. There's no telling what CC offers will be floating around then.

But in the meantime, if you fall on hard times (and I grieve for the current generations of 20-somethings and the world that they're facing), try to stay current on this one. AmEx is a keeper in credit land, so make them happy. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.