Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What leads to Amex auto CLI?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

What leads to Amex auto CLI?

What behavior does Amex look for in deciding to grant an auto-CLI?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

36 REPLIES 36
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: What leads to Amex auto CLI?

Amex is typically fairly easy to get a non-auto CLI from. Honestly I haven't heard of too many automatic ones, but I would assume like any other issuer, they want large usage and large payments.

I'd just request a CLI vs hoping to find the right "strategy" though.
Message 2 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLI button is way more common but what's up with your questions? You've been here long enough to see the trends Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 37
Open123
Super Contributor

I'd suspect many factors, but the main one would be usage vs. available CL on a particular card.

Over the past 6 months, I've exeperienced auto-CLIs on an Amex and Barclays card.  The only reasons I can see were because I decided to use those particular cards for higher than normal charges near my credit limits.  Both almost raised my CLs several months later.

Message 4 of 37
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Every CLI request I've made has been denied, throughout past 21 months I've had the card. So I'm looking for an altlernative strategy. To me it's ridiculous that I'm authorized to spend 50k on my platinum card, but am stuck at a 2k credit limit on my hilton card.

Message 5 of 37
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

I'd suspect many factors, but the main one would be usage vs. available CL on a particular card.

Over the past 6 months, I've exeperienced auto-CLIs on an Amex and Barclays card.  The only reasons I can see were because I decided to use those particular cards for higher than normal charges near my credit limits.  Both almost raised my CLs several months later.

Thank you, seems like a plan.

Message 6 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't seen many big hiltons
Message 7 of 37
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

What do you mean "both almost raised"? did you mean "both raised"?

Message 8 of 37
Open123
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Every CLI request I've made has been denied, throughout past 21 months I've had the card. So I'm looking for an altlernative strategy. To me it's ridiculous that I'm authorized to spend 50k on my platinum card, but am stuck at a 2k credit limit on my hilton card.

With Amex Revolvers, their CL's aren't "hard" limits in the traditional sense.  You can charge up to whatever NPSL associated with your account, but the amount above your CL can't be revolved.  With Amex, there are no over the limit fees.

I routinely charge above some Amex CLs when convenient.

Message 9 of 37
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I haven't seen many big hiltons

for the first 13 months it was a delta gold skymiles... couldn't get a cli so i pc'd it into the hilton... hilton stuck at same number

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.