Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What makes more sense?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What makes more sense?

Hey all. I recently got an AARP card for gas and eating out, but my question is.. is it better to use it for eveything to accumlate points? Or do what ive been doing and using discover only for the 5% categories, QS for general purchases, and AARP for the gas and dinning out? What do you guys do? Thanks

EDIT: Basically the question is, is it better to use one card for everything or use multiple cards for specialized cases?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: What makes more sense?

Since quicksilver allows redemption at any level I like that for every day purchases vs your discover or aarp at 1%.

Message 2 of 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all. I recently got an AARP card for gas and eating out, but my question is.. is it better to use it for eveything to accumlate points? Or do what ive been doing and using discover only for the 5% categories, QS for general purchases, and AARP for the gas and dinning out? What do you guys do? Thanks

EDIT: Basically the question is, is it better to use one card for everything or use multiple cards for specialized cases?

Makes more sense for what purpose?  Obviously, to maximize rewards, for each transaction use the card with the higest rewards, so discover for 5% categories up to the cap, AARP for gas/dining and QS for everything else.

Now if it is to get CLI/build relationship etc, it's probably best to focus spending on the target card.   But I never suggest that, as CLI and relationships have no value to me, whereas getting 1% when I could get 1.5% is real!

Message 3 of 4
MT936
Established Contributor

to maximize rewards it would make sense to use the cards that give you the best cash back % for the particular purchase

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.