cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What makes the Barclay Arrival+ card so valuable?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: What makes the Barclay Arrival+ card so valuable?

And while the Capital One Venture doesn't have many followers here, using trumptets notation to compare that to Fidelity Amex (after the first year), the math(s) is:

0.02x - $59 = 0.02x  

with no (finite) solution.  Which means, unsurprisingly, Cap One Venture is always worse than Fidelity Amex, as they provide the same rate of benefit, one with an AF and one without.   Yet this card was the Card of the Year etc in many of the financial rags!

(OK, to be fair, it does have no FTF whereas Fidelity has 1%)

Message 11 of 29
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

And while the Capital One Venture doesn't have many followers here, using trumptets notation to compare that to Fidelity Amex (after the first year), the math(s) is:

0.02x - $59 = 0.02x  

with no (finite) solution.  Which means, unsurprisingly, Cap One Venture is always worse than Fidelity Amex, as they provide the same rate of benefit, one with an AF and one without.   Yet this card was the Card of the Year etc in many of the financial rags!

(OK, to be fair, it does have no FTF whereas Fidelity has 1%)

The deal breaker for me on CapOne Venture are the low CLs and horrible customer service. As far as Fidelity, it's an AMEX with FTF, since I make the Arrival my main card specially when travelling abroad thats is problem as it's acceptance is getting lower and lower. In Europe for instance its acceptance is very bad.

WALLET: Amex BCP 25K | Barclay Arrival Plus 27K | Chase Reserve 20K |
Amex SimplyCash 50K

FICO: EX 812 | EQ 815 | TU 815
Message 12 of 29
Jungook
Regular Contributor

So many insightful posts. Especially the mathematical breakdown!

Message 13 of 29
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Of course, I wasn't planning on keeping the Arrival after my AF kicks in. I'll probably either close it and transfer line over to SM -- which I doubt, or I'll PC it to Barclay Rewards which will be good for 2% on my utilities. I'll take it.
Message 14 of 29
gh17
Frequent Contributor

Glad to see someone displaying some math Smiley Happy

I never understand why people get annual fee cards unless they have outrageous spending - I suppose for the sign-up bonuses?  I mean, spending a few thousand per month may be reasonable at certain incomes, but this is assuming you have other 5% cards for certain categories and this is just on non-category purchases.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 15 of 29
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@gh17 wrote:

I never understand why people get annual fee cards unless they have outrageous spending - I suppose for the sign-up bonuses?  I mean, spending a few thousand per month may be reasonable at certain incomes, but this is assuming you have other 5% cards for certain categories and this is just on non-category purchases.

It's not tht complicated. Everyone has different spending needs. For us, the AF on the BCP is well worth it because the card works for our spending needs. And we don't have outrageous soending. But for others, the AF might not be worth it. It's something everyone has to figure out for themselves. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 16 of 29
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Even after I downgrade the Barclay Arrival to the no-AF version, I'll still have a use for it in my occasional, infrequent travel since that will definitely become my main spender abroad. The two categories that count, dining, and travel purchases, will be the only ones I'll really need. What I liked about the non-AF version was that FTF is still waived.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 17 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@gh17 wrote:

There's nothing wrong per se with an annual fee.  If you are looking long term, all that matters is whether the total rewards of the card (benefits - AF) are better than other cards you could reasonably get.   The problem with the Arrival is that there are other free cards with similar (or better) reward structures, pushing the point when Arrival wins very high.

But in other cases, if a card gives you elite status, lounge access, or transfer to partners, the AF may very well be worth it, although you will need to constantly reevaluate (e.g. with reduction of access for American Express, the creation of a free MR card etc).

Message 18 of 29
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@gh17 wrote:

For strictly personal spending I probably wouldn't have an AF card (except maybe a Chase Sapphire Preferred for being able to earn miles at a rate that would exceed the AF but I would have to do the math to see if my personal spending would even cover the AF) and then maybe a hotel card where the annual bonus of a free room outweighs the cost of the AF (and gives additional benefits like room upgrades and what not) - i.e. a Hyatt or Marriott card.

The reason why it is beneficial for me to have two AF cards is the amount of business spending I put on them - which far outweighs my personal spending.

Message 19 of 29
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Many cards with an AF will have available retention "bonuses" as well to offset the fees. Just have to ask! I rarely pay AF's.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.