cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What makes the Sallie Mae card super-special and desirable to a lot of card holders, just curious?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

What makes the Sallie Mae card super-special and desirable to a lot of card holders, just curious?

What makes the Sallie Mae card super-special and desirable to a lot of card holders, just curious?  The interest rate, while certainly not bad, is not exactly the lowest game in town...anyway, my curiosity was kind of piqued when I read on various forums just how popular this particular card is, so can some kind soul please elaborate?  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What makes the Sallie Mae card super-special and desirable to a lot of card holders, just curiou

Message 2 of 48
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: What makes the Sallie Mae card super-special and desirable to a lot of card holders, just curiou

@galahad15 wrote:

What makes the Sallie Mae card super-special and desirable to a lot of card holders, just curious?  The interest rate, while certainly not bad, is not exactly the lowest game in town...anyway, my curiosity was kind of piqued when I read on various forums just how popular this particular card is, so can some kind soul please elborate?  Smiley Happy

0 annual fee, and great rewards, see previous.   5% rewards on the first $250 in 3 catagories. Then 1% after that. I hear barclays is decent with CLI's I doubt I am getting one, since I haven't even used the card yet, have had it for 4 months. Life happens, and didn't want to carry a balance on yet another card. Figure it will get some use this month. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 48
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Many thanks to everyone who answered for your kind help and assistance!  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

The search function turned up 22 pages of results but of course it's way more convenient to have the same answers being fed with a spoon straight to your mouth, ey?

It's super special because it nets 5% on groceries and gas and especially on Amazon purchases. Show me any other card which can do that - w/o an AF. Cards with high cash back rates are not known for favorable interest rates - they gotta claw their payouts back from the fools who don't PIF their accounts. And of course it's a World MC coming with all its perks comparable to the Visa Signature program.

Message 5 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@galahad15 wrote:

What makes the Sallie Mae card super-special and desirable to a lot of card holders, just curious?  The interest rate, while certainly not bad, is not exactly the lowest game in town...anyway, my curiosity was kind of piqued when I read on various forums just how popular this particular card is, so can some kind soul please elborate?  Smiley Happy

This is why.

Message 6 of 48
galahad15
Valued Contributor

New to the site; not quite that familiar with the search function yet, sorry...   Smiley Embarassed  Ironically, I did come across another post on a different thread that answered the question, after I had already submitted my thread  Smiley Embarassed

Message 7 of 48
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

The card is reasonably fabulous! The lender not so much. At least not for me

Barclays has stubbornly kept me from getting Sallie Mae for well over a year now for whatever reasons.

Looking on the bright side of their weenie nit picking, every denial has only embolden my aspirations that much more with increased and new exposure with their competitors.

So as they say, when you snooze you lose. No Sallie Mae no big loss.

Message 8 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

This is why.

Well that's just like free money.

Message 9 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@galahad15 wrote:

What makes the Sallie Mae card super-special and desirable to a lot of card holders, just curious?  The interest rate, while certainly not bad, is not exactly the lowest game in town...anyway, my curiosity was kind of piqued when I read on various forums just how popular this particular card is, so can some kind soul please elaborate?  Smiley Happy

It's the lowest game in my town at 13.99%. But I don't care about the interest rate. I got it because it has 5% cash back on the two things I actually buy.

Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.