cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What one would you rather have? Home Depot or Lowes?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What one would you rather have? Home Depot or Lowes?

I am about to buy a new home and most likely will have some upgrades needed. What card would you suggest? What one is easier to get a higher CL or CLI?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
EvilR-T
Frequent Contributor

Re: What one would you rather have? Home Depot or Lowes?

Lowes does SP CLI up to $25K. Home Depot is always a HP.

Message 2 of 26
chrisre
Valued Member

Why limit yourself to those? Go with a nice 0% Intro card.

1 benefit to HD card - they had 10% off carpet install or 0% for 12 months. But they also gave me a tiny CL to start ($600, CLI to $1300)

Lowes card is advertising 5% off - which isn't that special IMO

Starting Score: 565
Current Score: EQ: 660 TU: 659 EX: 683
Goal Score: 680

NFCU CashRewards $8,500 NFCU NavCheck: $3,000 CFECU: $2,000 Chase UNITED: $1,500 Chase Freedom: $1,000 Chase Amazon: $500 AMEX Delta: $2,000 (AU) Navy
Message 3 of 26
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

@chrisre wrote:

Why limit yourself to those? Go with a nice 0% Intro card.

1 benefit to HD card - they had 10% off carpet install or 0% for 12 months. But they also gave me a tiny CL to start ($600, CLI to $1300)

Lowes card is advertising 5% off - which isn't that special IMO

While 5% might not seem that big of a discount, it is equivalent to the bonus categories on the major cash back cards, and you get it year-round (not to mention it is an instant discount rather than a rebate that accrues).  It also adds up on big projects.

Lowe's also offers financing (but you can't double dip with the 5% discount), up to 18 months around holidays.

Message 4 of 26
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am about to buy a new home and most likely will have some upgrades needed. What card would you suggest? What one is easier to get a higher CL or CLI?

Personal preference would be Lowes. From an approval standpoint, I would say that Lowes is also easier to obtain.  Citi backs Home Depot card and Citi is well known for being picky and sometimes downright silly in their approval process. Lowes is backed by Synchrony, so a fair transunion credit score and you're good to go. 

Disclaimer: I have the Lowes card. I do not have the Home Depot card.

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

lowes goes 18 months 0% or 84 months 5.9%. I had a home depot and burned them (citibank) Its across the street from me but oh well. My mom actually has 2 HD cards. So in that way, you and spouse? can probably pull at least 2, and then enjoy staggered 0 percent interest purchases...although if your limit is high enough they group it for you on one card anyway. Lowes is synchrony and if you already have cards from that bank you get what you want pretty much, even with derogs. My lowes account isnt a year old and i went 700-1200-2200

Message 6 of 26
taxi818
Super Contributor

Exactly has stated. why would anyone who is buying a new home put limitations on which card to have. Get them both.

But as you asked. Lowes is easier to get and they will give you credit limit increases with a soft pull.

Home Depot. which i did just get a cli on. i had to pull a couple teeth out to get increase. but they gave me what i asked for. which was my fault for not asking for more.

Started with 2k limit. i have had card 2 months. never ever made a purchase on it as of yet. i asked for another 5k. they gave it within 2 minutes. but it was another hard pull.

both. lowes and home depot really would  just used to pad my utilization. even i will not apply for lowes until end of year. too many prime time cards for store limitations. and if you don't pay promo bills in time. they will back charge you the interest. this is why 0 percent card is best. Good luck. which ever you choose.

Message 7 of 26
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Simple 

Lowe's 6...miles away

Home Depot...35 miles away.

Lowe's wins!

Seriously though, Lowe's/Synch seems to be an easier lender to deal with. IMO

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 8 of 26
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

I don't know if this helps but discover is doing their double cash back thing and July-Sept is home improvement stores. I'll only be using them and my HD and Lowe's cards.

Starting Score-(01/2017): FICO ||EX:575--EQ:549--TU:588||
Current Score--(04/2018): FICO ||EX:686--EQ:697--TU:715||

Message 9 of 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Lowe's, since at least it offers the 5% off. Unless I remember wrong, Home Depot offers no rewards just 0% period(s).

I don't have either one, even though I shop at Home Depot frequently (Lowe's is a bit more of a hike for me). I just use my Quicksilver unless I'm in the 5% home improvement period on Discover.

To each their own but I'm not into having a card for stores generally. I have BJ's and that's about it. I don't like to accumulate cards that have little value outside of the given retailer (Lowe's, Home Depot etc). While Lowe's can be used elsewhere as it is a Visa there's no benefit to using it elsewhere. My point is make sure you analyze how frequently you shop there. You might be better to just use one of your normal "general spend" cards instead of opening a new account.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.