Regular Contributor

What order?

I'm planning an app spree for Jan 2015.

Current cards:
BoA Cash Rewards - $2,000
Chase Amazon Rewards - $1,000
Amazon Store Card - $700
Authorized user on Capital One - $300

What order would you apply for these cards?
Amex BCE
Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard
Chase Freedom
Citi Simplicity
Discover It

Thanks!
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
MT936
Established Contributor

Re: What order?

The order of importance for you
Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 2 of 22
Blodreina
Established Contributor

I may be mistaken, but if you do them all at once, they'll all pull the same reports (thus, none of them will see the others' inquiries - at least, not at the time of application).  I would apply for everything I wanted in one day.

Message 3 of 22
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

@KA14 wrote:

Current cards:
Amazon Store Card - $700

Amex BCE
Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard
Chase Freedom
Citi Simplicity
Discover It

Thanks!

Here is the order I would do it:

Barclaycard- Pretty inquiry sensitive

Citi- They are inquiry sensitive and I would get them out of the way first.

Amex- Not so inquiry sensitive but are still picky.

Chase- I'd save this one for close to last, although they are inquiry sensitive you already have a relationship with them. 

Discover- Easiest one to get

Message 4 of 22
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@Simba501 wrote:

I may be mistaken, but if you do them all at once, they'll all pull the same reports (thus, none of them will see the others' inquiries - at least, not at the time of application).  I would apply for everything I wanted in one day.

No, they will. As soon as the POST request is sent to the server, the inquiry will appear. The inquiries will be placed in the order received by the server, and available in the same manner. 

And as far as applying goes:

Barclay

Amex

Chase

Citi

Discover

Message 5 of 22
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@KA14 wrote:

Current cards:
Amazon Store Card - $700

Amex BCE                (1)   First i would apply for a Sallie Mae Rewards mastercard, not the BCE
Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard  (2) Second I would apply for Fidelity American Express
Chase Freedom   (4) I would prefer to wait until I had experience with large credit limits, but... apply for this fourth
Citi Simplicity  I see no reason to ever apply for this card. But if you insist on 5 cards... get the BCE at this point if you can.
Discover It   (3) Third I would apply for Discover IT

Thanks!

My comments above, plus a chart that explains why a Sallie Mae is better than a BCE. And why you may want to eventually get 2 Sallie Mae cards.

cardchart1.png

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 22
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Yes to what themanwhocan said Sallie Mae is better.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 7 of 22
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I think the most relevant point about the chart is that, compared to other cards with similar underwriting criteria, there is never a scenario were BCE wins.

OP, if you want a no-AF Amex credit card, the EveryDay is a great option.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 8 of 22
KA14
Regular Contributor

Does the Everyday have the same approval criteria as the BCE? I am looking for a no annual fee Amex to get my foot in the door with them.
Message 9 of 22
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@KA14 wrote:
Does the Everyday have the same approval criteria as the BCE? I am looking for a no annual fee Amex to get my foot in the door with them.

I would say its very simlar. However, The everyday is much different than the BCE rewards wise. It really depends on what you want. A lot of people like to get a charge card with them first to get the foot in the door you can acutally do a 2 for 1 app if they are both done on the same day. I would personally go with the BCE (cash back card), reason being that you want to apply for the freedom. With the freedom you could then get the CSP and get the best bang for your buck with points. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.