cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What other 2%+ Visa/MC cards are there?

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: What other 2%+ Visa/MC cards are there?

@core wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:
Business card might have been the Capital One Spark (unlimited 2%, $59 after first year)

Nasa isn't quite 2%, but after a lowish spend close enough.   There is also the Fidelity VIsa, which is 1.5% for the first $15K I think, then 2%

Ah yes, it was in fact the Spark he was talking about.  Now I remember.  Too bad that's Capital One and I'm persona non grata over there.

But Fidelity Visa!  Wow, thanks I've never even heard of this card before.  That I think was exactly what I was looking for, thanks.  Since I barely scraped by with my last BofA app, I think I'll have to wait on applying for it for a while.  That kinda spoils all my purchasing plans though.

Anyone know if BofA will PC my Fidelity Amex to the Visa?

You know, what they should do is let you create one of those temporary credit card numbers for online shopping, but let you create it on a different CC network.  So if an online merchant won't take Amex, FIA can still make some swipe fees.

As far as I know you can't PC it to anything as it is not really "part" of BOA's lineup. It is serviced by FIA. Same parent company as BOA. But not the "same" as far as PCs go. I have never heard of a Fidelity Amex being PCd to or from anything.

Is there a reason why this card cannot be an Amex? Depends where you plan to purchase of course but I have run into literally zero occasions where I wanted to use my Amex and wasn't able to. It is accepted at any major place I go. YMMV.

Message 11 of 18
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Probably not what you want but just in case it does peak your interest, IF you happen to be within Huntington Bank's footprint they sport a 3% Mastercard named Voice that you can select from several different categories and adds up nicely.

Message 12 of 18
core
Valued Contributor

KDM- I thought FIA might be able to PC the FIA Amex to the FIA Visa.  I know it's not really part of BofA but the cards are both Fidelity branded cards so it's like keeping it the same thing, no?

As for why it can't be an Amex, well there's _tons_ of places online that do not take Amex.  If I want to put a few bucks on a child's little gumball spending card (and pay a hefty fee for the privilege), those places never ever take Amex... even when the fee I pay more than covers swipe fees.  Banks/CUs never take Amex for initial funding of an account.  And my final example... electronics distributors are running on such a razor-thin margin they can barely afford to take credit cards at all sometimes, but certainly never Amex.  When a person is going to buy $100k worth of product weekly, trust me they care about that 1%.

Message 13 of 18
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

Discover IT Miles is a 3% on everything cashback card for the first year, 1.5% after that.

Miles can be redeemed for direct deposit at $0.01 per point so even though its advertised as a travel card it is actually a true 3% cashback card in the first year.

That's simply the best no AF rewards card now!

Message 14 of 18
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Since you already have the Fido Amex, the BoA Travel Rewards Visa Siggy can be used as a strait cash back card.  The base rewards are 1.5% with a 10% bonus for having a BoA checking account.  If your total assets with BoA/Merrill is over 20k you get a 25% bonus.  50k is worth a 50% bonus.  And 100k is worth 75% bonus.  In other words, it is either a 1.5%, 1.65%, 1.875%, 2.25% or 2.625% cash back card depending on your combined BoA/Merrill assets.

I don't think a business account will qualify for the Preferred Rewards tiers.  But if you have an IRA, it is easy to transfer it to Merrill Edge.

To redeem your cash, you would have to go to your BoA TR account and transfer your points to your Fido Amex (actually any WorldPoints FIA card would work).  Then from your Fido Amex, you transfer the points to your CMA account.  Without your Fido Amex, you are limited to redeeming the points for travel expenses.

For more info on the Preferred Rewards program:

http://info.bankofamerica.com/preferred-rewards/details/

Message 15 of 18
celluloid17
Established Contributor

I have a Fidelity Amex that I don't really have use for (thank you Citi Double Cash) and just this week I called and spoke to a BOA/FIA credit analyst who said it would be possible to PC the Fidelity Amex to the Visa version and that it wouldn't involve a HP.  I thought about PC'ing because I would be able to use it for purchases at Costco next year or for the bills I have that don't take Amex (which is why the Fid. Amex has been sockdrawered in favor of Double Cash in the first place).  I didn't go through with the conversion during that call, but it's nice to know that it's an option. 

Message 16 of 18
yfan
Valued Contributor

@core wrote:

I am in temporary need of some more 2%+ anywhere cards, even if it's just a 6-month intro type of deal.  The only catch is it has to be a Visa/Mastercard.  I already have the Citi DC. 

Why? There's no limit (at least as of yet) on how much cashback you can earn with the Double Cash.

Message 17 of 18
core
Valued Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

just this week I called and spoke to a BOA/FIA credit analyst who said it would be possible to PC the Fidelity Amex to the Visa version and that it wouldn't involve a HP.

Thanks for the info; that is awesome news.  I think this is my best bet.

@yfan wrote:
>Why? There's no limit (at least as of yet) on how much cashback you can earn with the Double Cash.

Well there is kind of an effective limit, dictated by your credit limit and how fast/slow they process pushed payments.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.