cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What purpose does a local credit union have if all the do is deny you?

tag
kezia2410
Regular Contributor

Re: What purpose does a local credit union have if all the do is deny you?

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

Gheesh my local credit union in Houston is the worst. I have a 665 credit score and was denied for a Credit Card saying too many inquires (3 in past 12 months). Most credit unions give you anything they offer when your credit is over 620. Not this one. I thought the credit union was supposed to be there for the MEMBERS? The card amount I requested was $7000. If they wouldnt approve that amount you would think they would say "Lets start out at $500 for a while and go from there" Nope flat out denial.

Why do stingy credit unions even exist? 

Do you mind sharing the name of the credit union? I live in Houston also and looking for a good credit union to get a cc. But I would like to steer clear of this one if they are stingy!!

Message 11 of 17
cobbson
Regular Contributor

@jd352 wrote:

My credit union is great. $40k in total CL - $20k credit card and $20k personal loan (should I ever need one - it is already approved). Then again my CU is rated one of the best by members on here who don't qualify for US gov't CU's. Definitely keep looking around and try to do research before joining. See what is available, do the research, then join and apply for credit. 

I went to Central High School in Philly and Temple University. Does that qualify me to join the PSECU? I wish, just kidding. I heard it is one of the best in the country.

Message 12 of 17
jd352
Regular Contributor

@cobbson wrote:

@jd352 wrote:

My credit union is great. $40k in total CL - $20k credit card and $20k personal loan (should I ever need one - it is already approved). Then again my CU is rated one of the best by members on here who don't qualify for US gov't CU's. Definitely keep looking around and try to do research before joining. See what is available, do the research, then join and apply for credit. 

I went to Central High School in Philly and Temple University. Does that qualify me to join the PSECU? I wish, just kidding. I heard it is one of the best in the country.

Believe it or not, maybe! If you still have a family member in the state, they can join. Then, if you are blood related, you could join through them.

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 13 of 17
user5387
Valued Contributor

Here's a list of a bunch of highly-rated CUs in the Houston area:

http://www.creditcardconnection.org/cu-finder/state/TX

There's no way to guarantee that a CU will approve you, but in my experience, it's possible to do some research and get a pretty good idea of what to expect.

You could take your report around to some local CUs, and sit down and talk to a loan officer, and ask them what they can do for you.

Message 14 of 17
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

Ill look

Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 15 of 17
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

Gheesh my local credit union in Houston is the worst. I have a 665 credit score and was denied for a Credit Card saying too many inquires (3 in past 12 months). Most credit unions give you anything they offer when your credit is over 620. Not this one. I thought the credit union was supposed to be there for the MEMBERS? The card amount I requested was $7000. If they wouldnt approve that amount you would think they would say "Lets start out at $500 for a while and go from there" Nope flat out denial.

Why do stingy credit unions even exist? 

I was turned down by my CU for a Visa last July.  My scores would have been around 620.   I noticed they SPed me the other day, probably as they've noticed I'm pretty much using my checking to pay credit card bills.   Now, I wouldn't even see a point to getting a Visa through my CU, since the rewards are lackluster.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 16 of 17
fot1
Established Contributor

@jd352 wrote:

Love love Love PSECU.. Glad I got in before they closed the  backdoor....

Too many to list..
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.