Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What reason do you give when asked about charge offs amd collections

tag
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

What reason do you give when asked about charge offs amd collections

When a credit analyst asks you this what do you say that will sway them towards an approval 

Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Re: What reason do you give when asked about charge offs amd collections

Personally, I'd go with whatever the truth is.  But that's just me.  Smiley Wink

Honestly, I'd say the analysts can probaby tell pretty well when they're getting played.  If you can think of it, they've probably heard it.  I know in my line of work I've gotten pretty darn good at knowing when I'm being fed a line in order to try and influence my decision.  For that reason, to me the truth is the most sound way to proceed.  It may be crazy, it may not be a good excuse, but it's always truthful.

Message 2 of 14
Callandra
Valued Contributor

I agree with telling the truth. I'm a CSR too (although not for a bank/CCC) and trust me, I've heard everything and then some. Just be honest and you should be okay (also, if your collections/charge-offs have been paid, you can always throw in that you've paid now and are working on fixing past mistakes and being responsible now). 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

When a credit analyst asks you this what do you say that will sway them towards an approval 

As others have said, honesty.  Assuming you paid them off and have a good record now I would simply own up to whatever the truth is and point out that you learned from it and are doing things in a proper responsible manner now.  That is how I responded and the one analyst thanked me for an honest answer (because I can only imagine the stories they have heard).

Good luck!

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Callandra wrote:

I agree with telling the truth. I'm a CSR too (although not for a bank/CCC) and trust me, I've heard everything and then some. Just be honest and you should be okay (also, if your collections/charge-offs have been paid, you can always throw in that you've paid now and are working on fixing past mistakes and being responsible now). 

I've been on both sides of the phone and agree that honesty is really the best policy. I also think that after being on the phone for a while it desensitizes you to some things because you're so used to people making things up to be what they think you want to hear.

Message 5 of 14
EW800
Valued Contributor

Another vote here for complete honesty.  My wife and I went through some very ugly financial issues a few years ago.  Through the rebuilding process, I have been completely honest about what caused the issue, what we did to try to avoid it and what we have done since to correct.  This approach has worked well for us.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 6 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

I would just be honest. That is how I handled my student loan late payments from years ago when asked on recon. What you need to do is explain to them why the problems you had before no longer apply (eg, got a steady job, no longer in hospital, etc). If you are lying and they figure it out then you are out of luck. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely just be honest
Message 8 of 14
EW800
Valued Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

Another vote here for complete honesty.  My wife and I went through some very ugly financial issues a few years ago.  Through the rebuilding process, I have been completely honest about what caused the issue, what we did to try to avoid it and what we have done since to correct.  This approach has worked well for us.  

Adding to what I wrote above, I think Barclay has likely been the most understanding (or forgiving?) of what we went through.  When I applied for the Barclay card about seven months ago or so, we were given a CL of something like $1,000.  When I called in to the RECON line, I explained in full honesty every detail of what we went through and how we tried to avoid the issues and steps taken since.  The rep on the phone bumped the CL to $7,000.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 9 of 14
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

The trouble im having is nasa federal. These guys are something else
Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.