cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Factored Into Total CC Crediit Line Exposure?

tag
RSCo
Established Contributor

What's Factored Into Total CC Crediit Line Exposure?

Hi there,

Specific to Credit Cards only, Does anyone know whether cards where you're an AU on are factored into your overall total credit line exposure?

So, when a bank is considering your CC application and they pull your report, do they include AU accounts when determining your overall available credit line. 

Ie. Someone has 100k in total credit available to them, however, 20k is from authorized user accounts.. Do they determine that you have 100k of total cc credit lines, or 80k?

Thanks. 

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: What's Factored Into Total CC Crediit Line Exposure?

Generally AU is included. Thats why being an AU is advantageous.

But, it can become a disadvantage if the AU card ends up being heavily used at some point by, for example, parents that don't have utilization as their highest priority.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

for your fico score yes for some report versions., for lender specific internal scoring depends on the lender, some don't count AU cards, under manual review it depends on the underwriter and company policy. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 7
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

I have a related question. I am helping my 25 y.o. niece (late bloomer) get her credit reports

in better shape. I added her to my BCP ($50K CL & 21 years old) a couple months ago. I sponsored her in with

NFCU and opened a 5 year term shared secured loan in her name. I think that adding her as AU on one more

of my cards would be helpful. Is the size of my credit limits possibly going to make her have difficulty

with too much credit available when she goes to apply for a card in her own name? I was thinking of

adding her to my BoA AlaskaAir visa sig ($50K CL and 20 years old), but that would show as a total of $100K CL

on her reports? Is that going to be counter productive for apps on her own?

Oh, and she doesn't get physical possession of my account cards, except maybe the BCP with a low spending

limit set up when she is traveling only.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 4 of 7
Bman70
Established Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Generally AU is included. Thats why being an AU is advantageous.

But, it can become a disadvantage if the AU card ends up being heavily used at some point by, for example, parents that don't have utilization as their highest priority.

OK, one second OT - your BB Rewards card looks totally different from mine. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 5 of 7
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Generally AU is included.

Do you happen to have in mind a few such verified major credit card lenders?

Message 6 of 7
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Generally AU is included.

Do you happen to have in mind a few such verified major credit card lenders?

No, its the FICO score that I'm thinking of. Once you get to internal scoring models, of which FICO is usually a part of that scoring, then naturally each lender is free to ignore AU or whatever else they want. I'm not saying being an AU is as good as having your own card, but it can help when you are getting started. Most lenders are still using FICO 08, or the older 04, so AU is one of the factors that is considered. 

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-debt/fico-08-will-score-authorized-user-accounts-1.aspx

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.