cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Your CC Strategy for 2008? Any Plans?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: What's Your CC Strategy for 2008? Any Plans?

@pjriverap wrote:
so how are everyone's earlier reported goals coming along? I'm doing good on the CLI ones and replacing some of the app ones...

OK, let's see: here's what I posted on 2/1:
When the 30-day goes over 12 months and the 90-day goes over 24 months, both sometime in March (jumped the gun, went for it in mid-Feb), it's pretty much what my siggy says (said):

• AAA World Points Signature Visa (listed as BofA, but handled by FIA) Got BofA AHIMA card instead, but basically the same thing

• either the Penfed gas card or the Citi Driver's Edge, assuming Citi hasn't blacklisted me Got the PenFed card, plus their car loan

• one or two store cards, chosen from Kohl's, Home Depot, and Borders Got HD and Borders Visa; also Barnes and Noble MC (I treat both of these like store cards); also went ahead and got AmEx Gold Rewards Plus to try out for a year

• By that point, EX and TU should be well above 720, and EQ close (maybe even there.) And they were, but not now!

Then I put my feet up and kick back!
    I'm kicked back. The job for the rest of the year is to evaluate each card, and more importantly, each card company, to see whom I like and who likes me, and next year do some consolidating. Frankly, I wish that the two bookstore cards really were just store cards. I'd like to have just 4 or 5 bank cards plus some store cards. So we'll see who looks like keepers.
    * Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
    FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
    Message 41 of 80
    scramblingin2007
    Established Contributor

I am waiting for my lates to hit the 12 month mark this summer.
    Aging my new Discover More card.
    Keeping my util at 1%
    Waiting for my 6 inqs on EX to age.
    Apply for a prime card in the fall of 08.
    My main goal is to age my lates, they are really killing me. I will never ever be late on a bill ever again, I have learned the hard way.
    Message 42 of 80
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

My strategy for the rest of the year is:
    • Let Discover More & BAC Platinum Plus age (1 year mark in June for Discover & November for BAC)
    • BAC has 0% int on BT & purchases thru 12/08, then 15.9% - call for APR reduction around Oct.
    • BT $3900 from stinky WAMU (PIF!!) to BAC - will send me to 73% util on BAC, but worth it to go from 18% to 0% int since I'm not apping for anything new for at least a year
    • Pay off Wells Fargo Woodwind/Brasswind account - $630 (0% int through Dec; currently 19% util)
    • Pay Discover & BAC down to 1% or so by mid-summer - $10700 combined
    • Rotate through 11 cards to maintain active status; small charge & PIF every month
    • Enjoy all my additional discretionary income from paying off CCs. Smiley Happy Actually, I'll take all that $$ & apply to my car loan to pay that off early, so I can trade it in the next 2 years or so. Mama wants a Pontiac Solstice. (well - Mama really wants a Mercedes SLK - but the Solstice is a little more realistic.)
    Message 43 of 80
    dizzier
    Established Contributor

my plan is very simple. I plan to pay down my AMEX to zero and then just let my cards age gracefully. I will probably try to get my APRs down some. They are all around 12%.

I have more than enough credit now, so no new apps for me. I have more than enough CL so no more CLI.

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
    Message 44 of 80
    MidnightVoice
    Super Contributor

pjriverap wrote:
    so how are everyone's earlier reported goals coming along? I'm doing good on the CLI ones and replacing some of the app ones...

Have asked for zero cards in the first quarter and zero CLIs in the first quarter.

Have reduced my HELOC interest rate due to improved credit (cost an EQ inq and 11 points)

Have two CLs age to over a year, next one due next month
    The slide from grace is really more like gliding
    And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
    But to find a graceful way of staying slid
    Message 45 of 80
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

@pjriverap wrote:

Ok, ok. I broke my resolution of 02/01. Well only one of them. I said I would "TRY" to refrain from any more app'ing, and I said that would be a toughie. And I didn't and it was. Went for the H.D. card, and 2 Citi cards. But in my defense all were pre-approvals. Smiley Very Happy

So I'll repeat what I said back on Feb.2. "refrain from applying for more cards".
    Message 46 of 80
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@pjriverap wrote:

Ok, ok. I broke my resolution of 02/01. Well only one of them. I said I would "TRY" to refrain from any more app'ing, and I said that would be a toughie. And I didn't and it was. Went for the H.D. card, and 2 Citi cards. But in my defense all were pre-approvals. Smiley Very Happy

So I'll repeat what I said back on Feb.2. "refrain from applying for more cards".

Sylvia - you are hilarious...did you get all 3 cards?
    Message 47 of 80
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

pjriverap wrote:

So far, good.  Just paying down balances and no apps. 
    Message 48 of 80
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

@pjriverap wrote:
    I'll start, here is my CC Strategy for 08':
    I currently have a:
    BoA Baseball MC at 12.1K w/ 5.9F APR: I want to increase me CL to ~16K.
    Amex Gold: I want to close...I think....the Amex Blue will keep me grounded. I hate the AF.
    Amex Blue Cash at 11K w/ 12.5V APR: I want to lower the APR by .5% at least and raise CL to 20K.
    WaMu at 12.5K w/ 15.75V APR: It's all up to WaMu. I might close if they don't treat me right. But I doubt I will close.
    Chase at 4K w/ 10.75V APR: I want to increase CL to at least 10K.
    What I Want:
    - Discover Miles Card (or some other restaurant rewards card)
    - Target Card
    - Att Universal Card (Great savings on Cingular)!
    What are everyone else's plans?

Per the above:

-Got the CLIs for Chase and Boa
    -Got the APR reduction on WaMu
    -I'm closing the Amex gold next month
    -I'm asking for the Amex Blue CLI and APR reduction next month
    -I no longer want the Discover, Target, or Att card. And instead I got a Citi Professional for the restaurant rewards!

I think I might get my goals done early this year. I now I just need to sit tight and relax - staying away from app'ing and LUV buttons, lol.

Message Edited by pjriverap on 03-28-2008 09:37 AM
    Message 49 of 80
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

yes I did pj:

Home Depot store card: $5,000
    Citi Diamond Preferred: $7,500
    Citi CashReturns: $7,500
    Discover More: $2,000 (almost forgot about that one.lol)
    Message 50 of 80
    Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.