cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s Your Experience Using Credit Card Overseas?

tag
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

Re: What’s Your Experience Using Credit Card Overseas?

Brother uses Cap1 in Eastern Europe (Belarus/Ukraine) and it's taken pretty much anywhere. There is no foreign transaction fees and the interesting part is the way the currency conversion goes, he actually gets better deals than if he bought stuff for cash.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 11 of 15
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What’s your experience using credit card overseas? 

Have you ever encountered a problem using EMV Chip & Signature credit card?

Were you ever able to use a magnetic stripe (non EMV) credit card?

Where did you use it and which credit card did you use?

And what are your favorite credit cards when traveling abroad?

Any tips you would like to share?

Thank you! Smiley Happy

- Generally very good

- Yes, one bus ticket kiosk that required an OFFLINE PIN-capable card. Also from the opposite end, I've had to swipe my Amex card fairly often in Ireland, and once in Sweden (the Amex chip application wasn't loaded)

- Yes, it works fine the vast majority of the time

- I generally always use credit cards, anywhere that accepts them

- Amex Delta Gold and Discover - these cards have NO FTF and do NOT allow DCC. By using a card that doesn't allow DCC, you avoid the risk of being in a situation where you can't easily opt out of DCC. With Visa/MC be vigilent about DCC. Expect that some terminals will try to trick you (e.g. one in Ireland was "Amount US$XX.XX. Amount OK? Yes/No" - the correct answer, of course, was no, charging me in dollars isn't okay - but it's setup in a way you're so used to hitting yes instinct will be to hit yes. Hit no and it goes through in Euro).

The biggest tip is to be vigilent about DCC wherever you are, but it's especially bad in Ireland. If you have to hand the card over in Ireland make sure to proactively say "charge me in Euro." ANYWHERE you rent a car, be sure to READ the contract before you sign it and INSIST on crossing out any terms relating to giving up your right to be charged in the local currency - rental car contracts normally have a DCC provision in them. When you go to pay, it's too late, you've signed the contract - they get to add 3-10% to the amount they charge you and you said it's okay.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have always been using cash only when traveling abroad. 

I'm going to start using my credit cards now.  

Thanks for sharing your experiences. 

Message 13 of 15
DieGo2SHAE
Regular Contributor

Mexico isn't overseas obviously, but I managed to use my Discover without issue there every time I went to use a CC. This ranged from using it at the airport in Guadalajra, Jalisco and in a small rural town seafood restaurant Smiley Happy

May 2013 | June 2013 |Sep 2013 | Dec 2013 |May 2014 | May 2014 | May 2014| April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015
Message 14 of 15
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

I'm in the middle of a trip right now. I'm visiting UAE and India. Of my US cards, I'm carrying three: CSP, Discover, Cap One Q/S - because they're all zero FTF. So far, I've used CSP and Cap One. I used CSP extensively at the Dubai airport. Every time, I declined the dynamic currency conversion and paid in AED. CSP (Visa) conversion rate is pretty close (if not better than) to the one that I can see through Google finance. No problem with CSP in Dubai or in India. Almost all of the terminals are chip-enabled. I need to sign the transaction slip. Automated kiosks in India are a rarity; so I didn't come across a situation where PIN was mandatory. My Cap One failed on my first transaction. I came back and checked online: there were one charge and one immediate refund. Secure message got me nowhere but from next day, it worked fine. Again, great rates. I'm yet to come across a regular merchant in India offering DCC. Anyway, all terminals can handle no-chip magstripe, so no probs. At that merchant, I didn't try my two other US cards; I used a local card instead. also have a few local (India) cards; they're chip and PIN. I use them sporadically (when the points yield is better). Unlike the US, you hand over the card to the clerk who inserts / swipes it and then turns the terminal towards you for entering the PIN. After entering the PIN, a transaction slip is printed where you sign (so it's a two-step verification rather than being a sig-or-PIN) like a regular CC transaction. All in all, no major glitches so far. I'll try the Disco at a place where I see Diner's logo next.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.