Frequent Contributor
RW771

What's a good card for balance transfers?

Hi all!

I have a few cards that the 6 month 0% promo will be expiring next month. The rates will jump pretty high (24%) but thankfully the balances total only to about $5K total. I opted out on getting any CC offers last fall when I was in the process of buying my house and am just now starting to receive a few, but nothing that has really caught my eye. According to my most recent SW, I'm sitting at about 651, with my util affecting me the most...overall I'm at about 61%. I know paying off this 5K will definitely help me, since I have no other negatives on my CR's (finally!), but can pay it off much faster if I can transfer those balance over to a 0% card.

Any suggestions on what I might try given my score and all above info?? TIA!

05/31/2013 672 EQ (Fico), 03/08/2012 697 TU (Fico)

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Valued Contributor
Crashem

Re: What's a good card for balance transfers?

Remember even with 0% bt offers, there is usually a bt fee of 2-3% which gets charged right away.  Also, remember with some 0% bt offers, if you don't pay off before period is done, you need to backdate the interest on the card on remaining balance.  Chase, Citibank, discover all have 12+ month 0% bt offers.  However bt fee will apply.  Credit unions might offer some 0 bt fee offers and relatively low interest rate.  For example my local cu has 0 bt fee and the visa is around 7%.  With most 0% bt offers having 3% bt fee, if Papuan on paying down within 6 months, it is cheaper to go with the 7% credit union card.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
improvingmycredit

Re: What's a good card for balance transfers?

Hey!  With such a high utility it mightAbe a challenge to get approved for a card with the limit you need.  My sis was in the same boat and had to app 2 cards at 0% to transfer her balances.  Not recommending this just providing info.  Anyway, there are several different great cards out there right now.  Few that come to mind:  citi diamond 15 mo 0%, citi simplicity 15 mo 0%, chase freedom 15 mo 0%(100 cash back), discover more (both 15/18 mo 0%).  Check out nerd wallet.  They list and compare a lot of great offers.  NFCU will approve for a high limit but you may not get the balance transfer offer at opening.  Good Luck!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 798, EX 780, TU 787 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSP 20.5K, QuickSilver 20K, TotalRewards 18K

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+