Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's an HP?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's an HP?

What's an HP? I'm new to the terms and abbreviations and the only thing I know about an HP is the deskjet.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's an HP?

HP is a hard pull.  A hard inquiry on either of your 3 credit reports.

I agree, we really need a thread stickied for all the acronyms thrown out on the forums.

Message 2 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

HP is a hard pull.  A hard inquiry on either of your 3 credit reports.

I agree, we really need a thread stickied for all the acronyms thrown out on the forums.

There is one under "Helpful Threads," but it may not be easy for some members to find; see NewGuy's post below for the link.

We do use a lot of abbreviations around here!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 9
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

HP= Hard Pull also known as a hard inquiry..  When a potential creditor checks your credit, they use either a hard pull or a soft pull.  Both give the credit the same information but the hard pull impacts your credit score and can cause a credit score to drop.  These hard pulls need to be limited as much as possible but almost always will occur when you apply for new credit.  The soft  pulls are usually creditors checking on your file either to potentially offer you credit or monitor the credit that they have already given you.  Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What's an HP? I'm new to the terms and abbreviations and the only thing I know about an HP is the deskjet.

Hard pull

and here you go

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Guide-To-Common-Abbreviations/td-p/224988

Message 6 of 9
Stralem
Established Contributor

No one went for the obvious computer joke?

Get it together, guys.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard Pull

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ikr Stralem??! I thought it was neat. Thanks for the info guys!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.