cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's best for utilization?

tag
leonardotmnt

What's best for utilization?

My wife is an AU on a couple of my cards and now has a couple of her own.  For us to have the highest score boost related to utilization should I just have one of my cards that she's an AU on report a balance between 1-9%?  Is there any use in having her have her own card report a balance as well or will the utilization factor in because she's an AU with me?  

Also, with her having 2 cards now she's definitely going to use her Barclaycard rewards card to put utilities on and pay it before the statement date so a balance doesn't report.  She also has a secured Cap One with only a $400 CL.  Should we charge something like Netflix each month and pay it before the statement date so it does show a payment history each month or is that even necessary?  I wasn't sure if it still showed paid even if the card wasn't used.  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
leonardotmnt

Re: What's best for utilization?

Any thoughts?

Message 2 of 6
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@leonardotmnt wrote:

My wife is an AU on a couple of my cards and now has a couple of her own.  For us to have the highest score boost related to utilization should I just have one of my cards that she's an AU on report a balance between 1-9%?  Is there any use in having her have her own card report a balance as well or will the utilization factor in because she's an AU with me?  

Also, with her having 2 cards now she's definitely going to use her Barclaycard rewards card to put utilities on and pay it before the statement date so a balance doesn't report.  She also has a secured Cap One with only a $400 CL.  Should we charge something like Netflix each month and pay it before the statement date so it does show a payment history each month or is that even necessary?  I wasn't sure if it still showed paid even if the card wasn't used.  

I'm pretty sure that letting her AU card report  <10% will be sufficient. 

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 3 of 6
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

I think one AU card will count as one card with a balance for utilization.

It definitely works the other way, where an AU on an account with

a high balance takes a high utilization hit. 

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 4 of 6
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@bada_bing wrote:

I think one AU card will count as one card with a balance for utilization.

It definitely works the other way, where an AU on an account with

a high balance takes a high utilization hit. 

This was my logic as well. If it can hurt util....it should be able to help as well.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 5 of 6
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Answered here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-do-I-play-the-1-9-Utilization-Game-Please-Help/m-p/...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.