cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's better - Marriott offer 70k points or 40K + $150?

tag
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

What's better - Marriott offer 70k points or 40K + $150?

When I log in to my Marriott rewards account, the 70k points $2k in 3 months. But if I go through the process of booking a weekend, I get the offer of 40k points $2k in 3 months + $150 statement credit on first purchase?

1. I can add 70K points in my rewards account to give me a total of 120K points if I go for this offer.

2. Can get $150 statement credit on first purchase plus add 40K to give me 90K points.

What say you?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Re: What's better - Marriott offer 70k points or 40K + $150?

They are basically the same exact offer. Some like cash more though.
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 2 of 11
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

I'd take the point though... But that's just me
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Membersince2013 wrote:
They are basically the same exact offer. Some like cash more though.

,+1

It really comes down to how you value the points. Marriot points are typically valued at about 0.5 cents each. Points values, however, are not fixed. I would generally take the points because with the right redemption they can be worth a lot more than their value. If you are the type who will use points the first opportunity you can, the difference between the two offers is likely negligible. If you are the type who can wait and use it at the right time (especially at a high tier - e.g. tier 9 - resort) the points can be worth much more than their value. 

I have limited experience with Marriot points as I don't use them often, but I would likely take the points over the cash offer. 

Message 4 of 11
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

The points are crap though ... The cards only use is for the free night and the other perks  imo

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Id take the points. I'd wait for a 70K/1K offer though.
Message 6 of 11
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

The points are crap though ... The cards only use is for the free night and the other perks  imo

I believe the points can get you at least 2 nights at a Cat 7. Points are usually standard for all Cat 7, but if you pay cash, it  may vary. You might just end up paying $200+ for a Cat 7 hotel when you could have just used 35k points.

Message 7 of 11
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Id take the points. I'd wait for a 70K/1K offer though.

I hope this offer comes around later this year or early next year. I'm pretty much done apping for cards for the year unless if this offer comes back.

Message 8 of 11
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

Yeah i started to get the app itch again. But since I just added 2 chase cards last week, I don't want to push it with them. Will just wait for the 70k points for $1K that Nixon mentioned.

Message 9 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

It all depends on how you redeem, but I will give you a specific example. If I use 70k points I can get a night at the ritz-carlton central park where the current room rate is $795 a night or I could get a renaisance hotel for 40k points in midtown that is $242 a night. 242 +150= $392,    795-392= 403

Therefore in this scenario by taking the points you derive a benefit of an extra $403. Points are better if you want to redeem high end. If your staying in lower end brands then maybe the money is better as you can get a room for less than $150. Although you could get cat 1 rooms at like 10k points. Those rooms would normally retail from $79-$120. So someone could argue that 40k is worth approx $400 on low end properties. 

The bottom line is its all over the map. You need to look at the destinations you would want to visit and the specific properties. Look at what category they are in and then compare the number of points required for the price of the room. Also you should consider if you will be using the points in the foreseeable future. Programs like these are subject to devaluations and properties can change categories from one year to the next. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.