cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's in your wallet? Capital One Shame?

tag
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Re: What's in your wallet? Capital One Shame?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@KneelBeforeZod wrote:
I don't believe you will hear a single bad thing from the prime Cap One holder, SOGGIE.

Well, that's a little too strong!   I would complain that the reps are much less empowered than with some other lenders, so calling them tends not to help anything.  But the basic card/rewards, no problems there.

Interesting! I do hear frequent complaints about their customer service reps. I wonder what's up with that.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 31 of 72
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Cap1 was the first to send me a pre approval letter to apply as my scores were improving.  The first one I received from them had an AF and I threw it in the trash. Later, I received another offer with no AF. I did apply and I have been with them 14 months and have grown from the Platinum to the QS with my highest CL.  I would not be able to get my other cards without Cap1 and I am happy with the service I have received from them.  I had to work by requesting CLI's, requesting to PC the card and requesting the EO to convert to the WMC but all have been approved and I will continue to use them.  

I have no idea why some people can build with them and others can not but I have no complaints.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 32 of 72
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

Cap1 was the first to send me a pre approval letter to apply as my scores were improving.  The first one I received from them had an AF and I threw it in the trash. Later, I received another offer with no AF. I did apply and I have been with them 14 months and have grown from the Platinum to the QS with my highest CL.  I would not be able to get my other cards without Cap1 and I am happy with the service I have received from them.  I had to work by requesting CLI's, requesting to PC the card and requesting the EO to convert to the WMC but all have been approved and I will continue to use them.  

I have no idea why some people can build with them and others can not but I have no complaints.

Thanks for your fair and honest opinion BluePoodle!

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 33 of 72
RCFL
Frequent Contributor

I was approved for their quicksilver one back in March of this year for 3k -- credit step kick in soon hope it'll get me to 10k! The reason why I am hoping for 10k is because I recently (June) got their Venture card with 10k CL, instant approval.
Message 34 of 72
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@SOGGIE wrote:

I'm really curious after hearing a multitude of complaints from Capital One QS cardholders with paltry credit limits. Capital One boasts about its 'unlimited cash back' card products. In many cases, an unlimited cash back card with a small CL is less valuable than another lender's product offering a higher credit limit and a cap on cash back. Is it true that Cap One is issuing small credit limits to the vast majority of their cash back accounts. Can any Cap One cardholders weigh in on this? I'd love to know what is really transpiring.

I have no complaints about Cap1 and just upgraded from a regular rebuilder to the QS.  My CL is 5k, but I think a "small CL" is a matter of perception, UNLESS there is a need to make very large purchases at once.  But, compared to my income, yeah I guess you can call my CLs paltry, but I am ok with it.  

I do not really carry the QS, but I am probably going to start running all of my utilities through it each month because it makes a few dollars difference.  I found now myself just being a hobbyist of cash back CCs because it is fun and free.  I literally only have 15400 total CL and the Cap1 is double CL of my next largest.  I rarely have 1% reporting, depending on reporting dates compared to my pay schedule.  I pay full balances several times per month because I am OCD like that.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 35 of 72
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:

I'm really curious after hearing a multitude of complaints from Capital One QS cardholders with paltry credit limits. Capital One boasts about its 'unlimited cash back' card products. In many cases, an unlimited cash back card with a small CL is less valuable than another lender's product offering a higher credit limit and a cap on cash back. Is it true that Cap One is issuing small credit limits to the vast majority of their cash back accounts. Can any Cap One cardholders weigh in on this? I'd love to know what is really transpiring.

I have no complaints about Cap1 and just upgraded from a regular rebuilder to the QS.  My CL is 5k, but I think a "small CL" is a matter of perception, UNLESS there is a need to make very large purchases at once.  But, compared to my income, yeah I guess you can call my CLs paltry, but I am ok with it.  

I do not really carry the QS, but I am probably going to start running all of my utilities through it each month because it makes a few dollars difference.  I found now myself just being a hobbyist of cash back CCs because it is fun and free.  I literally only have 15400 total CL and the Cap1 is double CL of my next largest.  I rarely have 1% reporting, depending on reporting dates compared to my pay schedule.  I pay full balances several times per month because I am OCD like that.

Congrats on your upgrade! It is always good to hear a success story. Your strategy plan sounds good. I am a 1% utilization cardholder as well.

Message 36 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

My card hasnt arrived yet so I cant comment on CLI issues, service issues or any issues really. What I will say is that I never had high expectations for this card. Its what I like to call my baby step card. With very little credit history, mediocre scores and no previous cc accounts I'm simply thankful I have the chance to build a positive history using this and the Chase Freedom. If I get a couple large increases within the next year or two, great. If not I wouldnt cry about it. Once my scores and history are a little better I plan to apply for better cards and would rarely use the Platinum card after receiving the next batch. What is the term used around here? Sock drawer I think Smiley Happy Maybe it depends on your expectations of the card or the reasons behind why you wanted it from the start.

Message 37 of 72
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@CallaLilyLover wrote:

My card hasnt arrived yet so I cant comment on CLI issues, service issues or any issues really. What I will say is that I never had high expectations for this card. Its what I like to call my baby step card. With very little credit history, mediocre scores and no previous cc accounts I'm simply thankful I have the chance to build a positive history using this and the Chase Freedom. If I get a couple large increases within the next year or two, great. If not I wouldnt cry about it. Once my scores and history are a little better I plan to apply for better cards and would rarely use the Platinum card after receiving the next batch. What is the term used around here? Sock drawer I think Smiley Happy Maybe it depends on your expectations of the card or the reasons behind why you wanted it from the start.

Congrats! Hopefully you will have a positive experience with Cap One.

Message 38 of 72
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

Capital One issues good limits. Its the people who can't get approved who will always complain. They offer a wide range of products and IMO focus on credit trends and have always favored thicker files (which is why you come accross people with a 700 score and only 3 other cards saying they couldnt get approved or only got approved for $300) and another applicant with a 620 score can get a $3,000 line with some derogs.

Message 39 of 72
TheBoss
Established Member

How I look at it: If you don't like the way someone does business, don't do business with them. Simple as that.

Message 40 of 72
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.