supervelous
Regular Contributor

What's my best move? BT?

So, I recently got the following cards, all zero balances  

Discover It:  $8,500 limit,  0% 14 months

Amex BCP:  $2,000 limit, 0% 15 months

Chase Freedom:  $5,550 limit, 0% 15 months

Chase Sapphire Preferred: $6,200 limit, 15.24%

I have about $2,700 in an installment loan at 12.5%.  I want to transfer to a 0% but am worried about a few things:

1. Utlization and it's effect on FICO score

2. The above causing one of my new lenders to lower their limit on their Soft Pulls, as my Util. goes up, score potentially goes down a bit

3. Effect on my 3X CLI request with Amex after 60 days

Obviously the CSP is out of the question with no 0%, so trying to figure out my best play here.  BT all to Discover bc of higher limit?  Split between mutliple cards?  Wait a couple months, go for Amex CLI, then BT to Discover?  (Discover BT promo, have till 11/13/13 and that starts 14 months).  My score went from like 630 just a couple months ago to high 600's now bc of paying down Revolving debt with high Util, so that's why I'm worried about big swing in other direction.

My only other debt is my car loan, which is at 8.99 but only $1,900 left, should be paid off 11/30/13, and my student loan, only $600 and very low rate.   My FICO's are 692 TU from MyFico, 682 from Equifax from MyFico, and 694 from EXP, included with my Discover It package.  27 lates but about 25 from over 2 years ago and none in 2013, 1 90 day but in 2007.  75K income, renter pay $700 rent.  Was insta-approved for my listed cards with no recons.

What's my best play to save money, not ruin my FICO, not hurt my limits?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
missjae
Established Contributor

Re: What's my best move? BT?

@supervelous wrote:

So, I recently got the following cards, all zero balances  

Discover It:  $8,500 limit,  0% 14 months

Amex BCP:  $2,000 limit, 0% 15 months

Chase Freedom:  $5,550 limit, 0% 15 months

Chase Sapphire Preferred: $6,200 limit, 15.24%

I have about $2,700 in an installment loan at 12.5%.  I want to transfer to a 0% but am worried about a few things:

1. Utlization and it's effect on FICO score

2. The above causing one of my new lenders to lower their limit on their Soft Pulls, as my Util. goes up, score potentially goes down a bit

3. Effect on my 3X CLI request with Amex after 60 days

Obviously the CSP is out of the question with no 0%, so trying to figure out my best play here.  BT all to Discover bc of higher limit?  Split between mutliple cards?  Wait a couple months, go for Amex CLI, then BT to Discover?  (Discover BT promo, have till 11/13/13 and that starts 14 months).  My score went from like 630 just a couple months ago to high 600's now bc of paying down Revolving debt with high Util, so that's why I'm worried about big swing in other direction.

My only other debt is my car loan, which is at 8.99 but only $1,900 left, should be paid off 11/30/13, and my student loan, only $600 and very low rate.   My FICO's are 692 TU from MyFico, 682 from Equifax from MyFico, and 694 from EXP, included with my Discover It package.  27 lates but about 25 from over 2 years ago and none in 2013, 1 90 day but in 2007.  75K income, renter pay $700 rent.  Was insta-approved for my listed cards with no recons.

What's my best play to save money, not ruin my FICO, not hurt my limits?

Lenders that give you a 0% into offer do so to entice you to use their card.  With that being said, you could transfer the balance to your Discover card since it has the highest limit.  Just make sure any BT frees you may be charged are worth it.  Your utilization will increase which can affect your fico score, but if you aren't apping for anything, then don't worry about it.  Just pay the balance down in a timely manner.  

Don't live in fear of lender's possible AA.  I don't think you'll have to worry unless you start charging up tons and carrying large balances while only paying min payments.  I've had AA before but I brought it upon myself and it wasn't cause I did a BT.

Message 2 of 5
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

As long as your util is below 30% you should not worry too much. You should balance transfer if you are not planning to pay off the amount in next 3 months. I would recommend Discover card for BT but you could use Chase also if it has lower BT fees. Util is important if you are planning to apply for credit. Just let ur new seedlings grow and pay balances on time and your scores would rise. They might get hit due to 4 new accounts in the short term.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 3 of 5
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Don't worry about util if you're trying to pay off your debt. I would go ahead and move all of it and spread it out if you want so you're not maxed out. But if it's easy to just move it to the freedom, I'd just do that even if your util is going to be more than "30%" Saving money and paying off your debt is the important thing here, not making sure you're keeping your util low. Do the BT and pay off within the 0% period. Simples.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 4 of 5
skyisthelimit
New Contributor

split it between the chase and discover it (1350/1350..unless one gives 0% bt fee).  I would make a few charges on the BCP just to show some use but have it PIF by 2nd statement/61day mark for the 3x cli.  Your income justifies the limits given, they shouldn't be lowered (key word shouldn't).  You have a great stable of cards right now and I would recommend not app'ing for 13 months for anything (should be in the low 700's by then if your util is under 10%).  Just stay away from the late payments.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.