What's so good about the Venture?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What's so good about the Venture?

@taxi818 wrote:

@core wrote:

@Revelate wrote:
Did you try their prequal link beforehand or just cold apped?.

Yes actually I did hit the prequal site first.  It did not list the Venture but it listed the QS1 (which I already have) and the Platinum.  I found that a bit odd, but I read reports of others being approved without prequal showing so I hit it.  It was either now or never though for this card, because I can't afford the HPs starting next month.  I had little to lose.

Interesting op. As that is exactly what im getting on the pre qual site as well. The QS1 and the Platinum. i already have 3 cards. Platinum. (secured). Qs no AF. and Venture.  which i did not get a pre qual for that as well. Im starting to think inquries does play a role as creditjim got 30k. but only had about 3 inquiries. high income as well. so with what you just said. I think i will not ever apply for a 2nd venture until i actually have a pre qual on that card specifically.

Might, prequal site tacked on 5% APR after I went with my first 3 mortgage apps, I should probably go check again now that I have 4-5 on my reports.

ETA: yup, Still Venture / Quicksilver at 17.9%.

        
Message 41 of 87
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@yfan wrote:

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

I guess if you define cash back as getting a check in the mail, it's not, but the Venture is a cash statement credit against any travel related spend.  I just used it to pay for part of my upcoming trip to Bali.  Don't most of these cash back cards do it by statement credit?  Venture is definitely not a miles card!

Right, but I think the difference is that the Venture doesn't give you cash, meaning that its redemption is restricted to travel for full value (if you want cash, you only get half). With Double Cash, you could get a statement credit - if that's what you wanted - even if you didn't travel.

Heard GC's is another way of getting full value.  

Message 42 of 87
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@core wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Yes actually I did hit the prequal site first.  It did not list the Venture but it listed the QS1 (which I already have) and the Platinum.  I found that a bit odd, but I read reports of others being approved without prequal showing so I hit it.  It was either now or never though for this card, because I can't afford the HPs starting next month.  I had little to lose.

So, when you applied did it say you were not instantly approved or did it provide you with a 7-10 day message with additional details coming from them?  Not sure if the 7-10 day message would be an instant denial.  Maybe others would know.  I'm just not familiar with how these typically turn out.

Message 43 of 87
taxi818
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@core wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

So, when you applied did it say you were not instantly approved or did it provide you with a 7-10 day message with additional details coming from them?  Not sure if the 7-10 day message would be an instant denial.  Maybe others would know.  I'm just not familiar with how these typically turn out.

Its not instant Denial Fin

As i was telling CC about my friend with two 30k limits and 22k in income. the reason he has two. is on his first app he put his annual income at 2k. which was mistake. he got 7-10 day letter. The next day he apped again with the correct income information. Which was instant approved. About a week later cap one sent letter and informed him with 2k income he could not qualify but if he wanted to add addtional info to call. Which he called and correct the info. Which gave him his 2nd Venture also at 30k. so no. it is not instant denial the 7 to 10 day message.

Message 44 of 87
core
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

I've already closed the window, but from memory it said something like:

Sorry we are not able to approve you for this card at this time.  We know this wasn't the answer you wanted to hear, so we'll be sending you a letter with the reasons via email in a few days.  If we are not able to reach you via email you will receive a letter via US Mail within 7-10 days.

Something like that.  I don't know how they would know if they reached me by email or not.   Haven't gotten any email yet.  At any rate, it was definitely a denial and said nothing about a manual review.  I say that assuming that "at this time" means "not anytime soon" rather than "not instantly".

Message 45 of 87
taxi818
Super Contributor

Thats the same info my friend got on his first app. When he got the actual letter it stated income listed did not qualify. thats when he realized he only put 2k as annual income. He called and had csr correct the info. and got the card in the mail 5 days later.

Message 46 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@core wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I have had a 10k Venture for 3+mos w/ under 30% util and was shown the QS prequal...applied and got the dreaded 7-10 day message. What's the recon number????????

Message 47 of 87
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@core wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Interesting op. As that is exactly what im getting on the pre qual site as well. The QS1 and the Platinum. i already have 3 cards. Platinum. (secured). Qs no AF. and Venture.  which i did not get a pre qual for that as well. Im starting to think inquries does play a role as creditjim got 30k. but only had about 3 inquiries. high income as well. so with what you just said. I think i will not ever apply for a 2nd venture until i actually have a pre qual on that card specifically.

Might, prequal site tacked on 5% APR after I went with my first 3 mortgage apps, I should probably go check again now that I have 4-5 on my reports.

ETA: yup, Still Venture / Quicksilver at 17.9%.

Sorry about the denial, core, that is surprising. I wonder if the Orchard card history is a factor?

For my prequal, I never got a definite card, it was always "heres a card you might like" then what looked like the full range of APR, but the Venture was the first card in the latest prequal I did, just prior to apping.

Also, to expand on CC previous comment, my history with my $10k CapOne card includes a lot of interest payments to them over the years. I recently paid the card down to zero again, so am off any interest payments, which there were some in the last few months off a basic BT, and did some PIF type charges that are now up to a $175 balance on the $10k limit. So my combination of prior interest payments, long history, been to zero balance a few times, and now no real balance probably helped a little. Still, that prior history meant nothing when I was getting denied for the last few months asking for CLI. So IDK.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 48 of 87
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@core wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I have had a 10k Venture for 3+mos w/ under 30% util and was shown the QS prequal...applied and got the dreaded 7-10 day message. What's the recon number????????

BrainPan - AFAIK, there is NO reconsideration number.  You either wait for verification/additional processing to go through the motions or call the application status line to inquire on the progress (or wait for the letter to see what else they require).  Sorry, this isn't Barclays or Chase where you can just ring them up on a whim!

Message 49 of 87
Simply827
Established Contributor

I have an old Orchard and I do have prequals for Venture and some others.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 50 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.