Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so great about CSP?

tag
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

Re: What's so great about CSP?

You could start traveling? That would be my recommendation Robot tongue

You can also use your points for cashback if you really want to (but they lose so much value that way, vs transferring them to airlines or hotels), but as others have said, you can also transfer your points from your Freedom to your CSP, and then to travel partners which is really quite nice. There is no AF the first year, and if after the first year, you don't find that you're getting any benefit from the card, you can downgrade to the no-fee version or just cancel it altogether.

Message 11 of 22
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@RhubarbPie wrote:

You can also use your points for cashback if you really want to (but they lose so much value that way, vs transferring them to airlines or hotels), but as others have said, you can also transfer your points from your Freedom to your CSP, and then to travel partners which is really quite nice. There is no AF the first year, and if after the first year, you don't find that you're getting any benefit from the card, you can downgrade to the no-fee version or just cancel it altogether.

Yeah. I plan to put my plane tickets to visit my mom on my Freedom, so I can get the $100 back.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 12 of 22
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

@hutchj wrote:

@RhubarbPie wrote:

Yeah. I plan to put my plane tickets to visit my mom on my Freedom, so I can get the $100 back.

I dont know where your mom lives in relation to you, but depending on your location and her location, you could transfer your points from your freedom and CSP to an airline, and the flight would be free.

Is the flight within the continental US? East coast to west coast?

As a hypothetical, if you are in NY and your mom is in LA, you could fly United roundtrip for 25,000 miles (which would be 25,000 UR points from your CSP/Freedom, transferred to United) and $5 in taxes. Or, if you live on the east coast, and she lives somewhere in the middle of the country (like Texas, or anywhere in that vicinity) you could book a roundtrip flight via British Airways for 20,000 Avios (which again, would be 20,000 UR points that you transfer to BA) and $5 in taxes. AND, if its an even shorter distance - say NY to Florida, you could book roundtrip via British Airways for 15,000 Avios (15,000 transferred UR points) and $5 in taxes.

Anyways, you get the point. Your UR points from CSP and Freedom (they become UR points once transferred to CSP) are worth WAY more than $100 cash back. If you have questions about how any of that works, Im happy to answer them.

Message 13 of 22
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@RhubarbPie wrote:

@hutchj wrote:

@RhubarbPie wrote:

I dont know where your mom lives in relation to you, but depending on your location and her location, you could transfer your points from your freedom and CSP to an airline, and the flight would be free.

Is the flight within the continental US? East coast to west coast?

As a hypothetical, if you are in NY and your mom is in LA, you could fly United roundtrip for 25,000 miles (which would be 25,000 UR points from your CSP/Freedom, transferred to United) and $5 in taxes. Or, if you live on the east coast, and she lives somewhere in the middle of the country (like Texas, or anywhere in that vicinity) you could book a roundtrip flight via British Airways for 20,000 Avios (which again, would be 20,000 UR points that you transfer to BA) and $5 in taxes. AND, if its an even shorter distance - say NY to Florida, you could book roundtrip via British Airways for 15,000 Avios (15,000 transferred UR points) and $5 in taxes.

Anyways, you get the point. Your UR points from CSP and Freedom (they become UR points once transferred to CSP) are worth WAY more than $100 cash back. If you have questions about how any of that works, Im happy to answer them.

Wow. She's in AZ, but I'd probably save it to go visit my friend in HI. Does that only work for CSP or does it also apply to the regular CS?

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 14 of 22
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

@hutchj wrote:

Wow. She's in AZ, but I'd probably save it to go visit my friend in HI. Does that only work for CSP or does it also apply to the regular CS?

You can only transfer points if you have CSP.

Message 15 of 22
red259
Super Contributor

@RhubarbPie wrote:

@hutchj wrote:

Or if you have some of the Ink Business cards (ie Bold or Plus). What I may do is go for the Bold at the same time as I go for CSP. Then after the year I will get rid of CSP or just reduce it down to CS and keep the Bold, so I can transfer the points.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 16 of 22
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@RhubarbPie wrote:

@hutchj wrote:

Okay. Thanks. You've given me a lot to think about.

Message 17 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 18 of 22
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
@hutchj

I'm watching you!

I promise I have no intention of app'ing. LOL

Message 19 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.