Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so great about DISCOVER?

tag
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

What's so great about DISCOVER?

Let me just start by saying that I'm not looking to bash this card. But from everything I read here, some folks make it sound almost "elite".

From what I know, Discover rewards are no better than Chase, CITI or many other cards out there that all do the 1% cashback along with 5% on rotating categories. The card is NOT accepted worldwide which is a huge minus for those that travel overseas. 

I've also read here that they have great customer service. But so does AMEX. Chase (at least their Sapphire card) also has amazing customer service.

So I guess my question is, why is DISCOVER considered to be such a good card? Am I missing something?

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Re: What's so great about DISCOVER?

Im sure I wont cover all of it but CSRs are great, they are not as unstable as many other lenders (they are conservative), and now they are part of the Diners Club network so they can be used at more places internationally.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrShush wrote:
Im sure I wont cover all of it but CSRs are great, they are not as unstable as many other lenders (they are conservative), and now they are part of the Diners Club network so they can be used at more places internationally.

Do they charge an international transaction fee?

Message 3 of 16
DI
Super Contributor

Cashover is a winner for me.  Save me trips to ATM or when not wanting to use my debit card at certain places but need cash. 

Message 4 of 16
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

It's all about customer service.  Their CS is unmatched, except maybe by AMEX.

Also, their rewards are nearly on par with Chase.  (Identical rewards, but usually lower caps on 5% rewards)

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Message 5 of 16
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

While Diners Club has been around a long time, they're still not as widely accepted as VISA/MC. They're pretty popular in some European countries, but not all.

x94- Cap One cards don't charge a transaction fee and they're either MC or VISA. There's a few other cards as well but can't think of them now. Either way, even if  DISCOVER doesn't charage, it's really poinltess if they're not accepted.

DI- What's "Cashover'?

I dunno, I guess my optimum card would be cashback, accepted everywhere CC's are accepted, no fees and good CS.

Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14

Message 6 of 16
DI
Super Contributor

@ficonightmare wrote:

While Diners Club has been around a long time, they're still not as widely accepted as VISA/MC. They're pretty popular in some European countries, but not all.

x94- Cap One cards don't charge a transaction fee and they're either MC or VISA. There's a few other cards as well but can't think of them now. Either way, even if  DISCOVER doesn't charage, it's really poinltess if they're not accepted.

DI- What's "Cashover'?

I dunno, I guess my optimum card would be cashback, accepted everywhere CC's are accepted, no fees and good CS.

http://www.discovercard.com/customer-service/account/cash-over.html

Message 7 of 16
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

thrasher- I don't know how good their CS is as I don't have their card, but I believe you guys when you say it's great.

I will say this though, I have a tough time believing they're better than my Chase Sapphire CS reps.

DI- thanks for the link. That is a nice feature.  I usually just use my debit and get cash back if I don't feel like going to an ATM. But yea, I can see how convenient it could be to use your CC and not get charged crazy fees/interest.

Message 8 of 16
BoSox617
Contributor

@ficonightmare wrote:

Let me just start by saying that I'm not looking to bash this card. But from everything I read here, some folks make it sound almost "elite".

From what I know, Discover rewards are no better than Chase, CITI or many other cards out there that all do the 1% cashback along with 5% on rotating categories. The card is NOT accepted worldwide which is a huge minus for those that travel overseas. 

I've also read here that they have great customer service. But so does AMEX. Chase (at least their Sapphire card) also has amazing customer service.

So I guess my question is, why is DISCOVER considered to be such a good card? Am I missing something?

Personally, I don't waste time worrying about which cards folks consider "elite" - the only thing I care about is the service, benefits/rewards. 

I look at credit as a vehicle that saves me money - I don't care what it looks like, and I don't give a flying rat's patootie about "impressing" anyone when I pull out my plastic (I think it laughable/sad that some folks seem to place any import on that).  I simply care about what will save me the most money. 

I really like Discover's discounts on online shopping and partner gift cards in particular.  For example, I regularly trade in $85 cash rewards for a $100 online gift certificate.  I also receive 10% or more off of purchases from my favorite retailers.  During the Christmas holiday season, they'll even increase the cash back %s for many of them.  Discover even sends me post cards on a regular basis, offering discounts to local merchants.

As far as the quarterly rotating categories are concerned, the maximum cash back one can earn is usually pretty small - though this quarter's max savings is $40.  But that doesn't bother me at all - the savings I get from online shopping and gift cards make this card extremely worth it to me.

I have personally found Discover's Customer Service to be top-notch - CSRs have been very knowledgeable and helpful.  For example, I called in for a CLI late last year, and was told that it would require a hard pull.  I declined, and thanked them for their time.  The next day I log in to my account and see a $3K CLI.  Fantastic!

I guess the best advice is to see if Discover makes sense for you - what are you looking for credit to do for you?  In my case, Discover is a great fit - super service, demonstrated continued appreciation for a good customer, and most of all, they have saved me a lot of money.

Best of luck! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 16
jj10939
Regular Contributor

Discover's customer service is the best around.  AMEX does not nearly compare (at least my Gold Card customer service reps).  Every time you call in, they know what they are talking about.  They extensively train their employees and when you call in, they actually seem happy to help you. 

Simply put, they are the best..I agree though with the reward structure..not the greatest, but the service and stability of the company makes up for it.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.