Frequent Contributor
ficonightmare

Re: What's so great about DISCOVER?

Thanks for the responses.

I started this thread because I'm looking to close my GEMB/PayPal MC and want another card to replace it. My reports are all clean, scores good so I was debating maybe getting a Discover.

The one thing that turns me off is that it's not a VISA/MC. I do fly overseas regularly and prefer having something that's accepted everywhere with no foreign transaction fees, but also a cashback card. That's it. I don't need the rotating categories, and I don't need a miles card. But maybe I'm asking for too  much?

CHASE, CITI and AMEX are out. Have them or I'm an AU on my husbands. I was looking at CAP 1 but couldn't find any cashback cards.

Any ideas?

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 809 TU 801
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Frequent Contributor
BobbyJ

Not sure if this was discussed at great issue but maybe the Capital One No Hassle Cash Rewards Credit Card:

Reward Details:

• 2% cash back on gas and groceries.
  • 1% cash back on all other purchases.
  • No limit on the cash you can earn and cash won't expire.
  • Get your cash rewards as an account credit, check or gift card.
  • Redeem cash rewards any time for any amount, even set up automatic redemption.
  • 0% intro APR on purchases until November 2011.
  • Pick an image for your card -- choose the one shown here, any of the hundreds in our collection, or add your own.
  • $0 Fraud Liability if your card is lost or stolen.
  • 24-hour travel & emergency assistance gives you a replacement card and cash advance.
  • 24-hour roadside assistance.
  • Extended warranty program.
  • Auto rental insurance -- use your card to rent a car and you're covered for collision, damage and loss.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  •  

Hope this helps,

BJ

Ch 7 Filed on 10/10/13 ; Discharged on 1/14/14.
    Fico Scores: EQ 618 (2/28/14) EX 622 (3/22/14) TU 638 (3/5/14)
    AAOA 6 yrs 2 mos. Credif File Age: 29 years
    C1 Quicksilver Plat MC $3K / Fort Knox CU Plat Visa $5K / Lowes $7K / HSN Card $3K / Walmart Store Card $2K / GE Retail Credit Card $2K / Macys $800 / Target Red Card $500 / Fingerhut $600.
    Frequent Contributor
    ficonightmare

ooh.. thank you Bobby!  I somehow missed this. Kept seeing their miles card.

Starting Score: 600s
    Current Score: EQ 809 TU 801
    Goal Score: 760

Regular Contributor
    Smerri1029

It's funny. I must be one of the few that has been totally turned off from Discoer strictly because of their CSR. To be honest I can't even remember the issue I just know a few times I called in it almost seems I was bothering them looking for help. I was so disgusted and turned off I totally stopped using the card (wht the exception of a minor purchase every so often to keep it reporting). It is my oldest CC and 3,000 towards my overall credit so I wasn't going to close it. Also, it seems Discover were the only ones who were always pushing additional products on me.

As far as I am concerned, the reps on my PR Gold Card from AmEx are top notch and anytime I call in a pleasure to do business with, friendly, knowledgeable, helpful, etc...

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Chase Freedom
    What's In My Sock Drawer: American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Card, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi AA AmEx, Chase United Mileage Plus Explorer Card, Barclays US Air, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, Citi Dividend Platinum Select, LEM FCU Visa, SME FCU Visa
    Valued Contributor
    thrasher865

ficonightmare wrote:

thrasher- I don't know how good their CS is as I don't have their card, but I believe you guys when you say it's great.

I will say this though, I have a tough time believing they're better than my Chase Sapphire CS reps.

Well then, let me say this:  There is a difference between never having a complaint about the CS, and actually going out of your way to say to yourself, "Wow, that is some good customer service" every time you hang up the phone with a CCC.  Discover's CS is to the point that it actually stands out.  There are lots of companies that have adequate customer service, Discover is way better than those companies.

I will agree with the poster that said Discover is better than AMEX in the CS department, I'm just afraid to say that because I know there are a lot of people that stick up for AMEX's customer service, and I've only ever called into AMEX 2 or 3 times.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
    Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
    Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Valued Contributor
    thrasher865

[ Edited ]

Smerri1029 wrote:

It's funny. I must be one of the few that has been totally turned off from Discoer strictly because of their CSR. To be honest I can't even remember the issue I just know a few times I called in it almost seems I was bothering them looking for help. I was so disgusted and turned off I totally stopped using the card (wht the exception of a minor purchase every so often to keep it reporting). It is my oldest CC and 3,000 towards my overall credit so I wasn't going to close it. Also, it seems Discover were the only ones who were always pushing additional products on me.

As far as I am concerned, the reps on my PR Gold Card from AmEx are top notch and anytime I call in a pleasure to do business with, friendly, knowledgeable, helpful, etc...

Well, I guess individual experiences may vary.  I have never been pushed for any additional services from Discover.  

AMEX does push identity protection or insurance on me the couple times I've called them, but a simple no thanks you is usually sufficient for them to move on.  However, I'm afraid to call Chase anymore, because I get directed to what I can only assume is an outsourced call center, because the CSRs don't sound too knowledgable, and I frequently have to hang up on them, because once I tell someone no for a product push the second time, I refuse to stay on the line.

I am pleased with AMEX CS, but in my mind Discover is tops.

Chase doesn't come close (in my experience).  I don't have a Saphire, I have a Freedom, if that makes any difference.

In addition to CS, Discover basically throws CLIs at me.  I use them as my main card, and perhaps AMEX would offer me a CLI if I used my Blue Cash as much as I do my Disc More.  I used to use Chase as my main card, until the rewards changed.  Chase did give me an unrequested CLI after a year of nonstop use, I never felt mistreated by Chase, I just don't like their CS over the phone.  Now, my loyalty to Discover is just based on the overall way I have been treated as a customer, (friendly CSRs and frequent, unsolicited CLIs)

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
    Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
    Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
    FICO Score - The Score that matters
    Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
    Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
    FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+