cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so special about US Bank credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's so special about US Bank credit cards?

I liked US Bank until about a month ago when I called up and asked if I was eligible for a CLI after one year.  The phone rep told me he could not give me an immediate answer and an underwriter would have to look at it.  I said if they were going to do a hard credit pull just forget about it, I don't want a CLI.  The phone rep assured me it was a soft pull.  I reiterated in the absolute most unequivocal terms that I did not authorize a hard pull and was not interested in a CLI if a hard pull was required.  The phone rep assured me again it was a soft pull.  So the next day, they did a hard pull and sent me a letter stating I was denied the CLI due to UTI.  I really could have cared less about whether they denied me the CLI, that's a non issue, but I'm mad as hell about unauthorized hard on my credit report.  So now my US Bank card is paid in full and put away.  I won't be using it again any time soon.

Message 31 of 39
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I liked US Bank until about a month ago when I called up and asked if I was eligible for a CLI after one year.  The phone rep told me he could not give me an immediate answer and an underwriter would have to look at it.  I said if they were going to do a hard credit pull just forget about it, I don't want a CLI.  The phone rep assured me it was a soft pull.  I reiterated in the absolute most unequivocal terms that I did not authorize a hard pull and was not interested in a CLI if a hard pull was required.  The phone rep assured me again it was a soft pull.  So the next day, they did a hard pull and sent me a letter stating I was denied the CLI due to UTI.  I really could have cared less about whether they denied me the CLI, that's a non issue, but I'm mad as hell about unauthorized hard on my credit report.  So now my US Bank card is paid in full and put away.  I won't be using it again any time soon.

If that happened to me,  I would call a supervisor and ask for it to be taken off of my report.  It's worth a try.  IMO, never accept something you know is wrong.

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 32 of 39
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:
If that happened to me,  I would call a supervisor and ask for it to be taken off of my report.  It's worth a try.  IMO, never accept something you know is wrong.

+1

"never accept something you know is wrong."

I would go to the wall with this one.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 33 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I JUST got approved for a CL of $1,500 and have only heard of US Bank. I was approved for a 123 Kroger Mastercard and was really suprised at the response I got although I thought I was denied because when I applied online it said that they would let me know in 10 days then I forgot about it and recieved a letter in the mail that said for me to verify some info so I called and gave it to them then I was APPROVED! I had applied for a GYMBOREE card but was declined for that for whatever reason??? But a I am looking forward to a wonderful relationship with US BANK Smiley Very Happy

Message 34 of 39
Travis-84
Regular Contributor

I don't think US bank is all that great.  They approved me for 1000, then I got a credit line decrease (about 2 years ago) despite perfect payment history. 

I did call customer service once, and they were helpful, so at least their customer service is fine.  US bank sent me a new debit card when my old one expired.  My debit card and credit card looked damn near exactly the same.  The only difference was the Debit card said 'debit one the side, really small  I used my Credit card at an ATM (since they looked the exact same), and I got hit with a 40.00 cash advance fee.  One phone call, and they reversed the fee, since I had the money in my bank account, there was no reason I would have to do a cash advance.

My US bank credit card is my oldest, and I bank with US bank, so I like having one website for bank and credit card statements, so I won't be closing it anytime soon (or ever).

Message 35 of 39
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@Travis-84 wrote:

I don't think US bank is all that great.  They approved me for 1000, then I got a credit line decrease (about 2 years ago) despite perfect payment history. 

I did call customer service once, and they were helpful, so at least their customer service is fine.  US bank sent me a new debit card when my old one expired.  My debit card and credit card looked damn near exactly the same.  The only difference was the Debit card said 'debit one the side, really small  I used my Credit card at an ATM (since they looked the exact same), and I got hit with a 40.00 cash advance fee.  One phone call, and they reversed the fee, since I had the money in my bank account, there was no reason I would have to do a cash advance.

My US bank credit card is my oldest, and I bank with US bank, so I like having one website for bank and credit card statements, so I won't be closing it anytime soon (or ever).

IMO, US Bank has the best online website set up.  I only need to log on to one site, and all of  my accounts are listed.  You can check mortgage, checking acct, savings,  and cc's.  They are always up to date on a daily basis, and it is easy to navigate between accounts, bill pay, funds transfer etc. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 36 of 39
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

IMO, US Bank has the best online website set up.  I only need to log on to one site, and all of  my accounts are listed.  You can check mortgage, checking acct, savings,  and cc's.  They are always up to date on a daily basis, and it is easy to navigate between accounts, bill pay, funds transfer etc. 

Their online banking website is so simple. It looks like it was designed in 2000. But who cares? It's very easy to navigate.

I like how they put all the rewards points/cashback on all accounts in one place (Rewards center). <3

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 37 of 39
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@tengtengvn wrote:

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

Their online banking website is so simple. It looks like it was designed in 2000. But who cares? It's very easy to navigate.

I like how they put all the rewards points/cashback on all accounts in one place (Rewards center). <3

Thats why this old man likes it.  At my age, simple is good.  Smiley Very Happy

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
last app 2/15
Message 38 of 39
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I bank with US Bank and I was just talking to a banker in IL today trying to see if I would qualify for a secured cc due to BK in 2005.

He informed me that you needed at least a 680 no derogs and no BK. I can maybe apply after 2 more years. He told me they like to wait unitl the BK falls off in10 but if you have done a good job rebuilding after 7 they will consider you.

They pull EQ and EX in IL. He also told me that with a BK and a 500 score I can get approved for a car loan through them. Go figure. They will put me on the hook for a 15K car loan but I cant get $300 secured credit card.

Funny--they told me that once too.  One of the employees at my local branch even looked it up on a chart she had a chart showing the minimum FICO score for different loans.  But then I tried for a $13,000 auto loan with a 643 FICO and they denied me.

Regarding the US Bank website, I agree--very intuitive.  That is the only reason I have not switched banks. There are only 2 local branches near me and only 2 US Bank ATMS, so I get sick of the ATM fees, but the ease of the website is just enough to make me continue banking there (and I feel like I am letting them "win" if I close my accounts without getting my original CL back first Smiley Tongue  )

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.