cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's stopping people from lying about your income?

tag
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

Re: What's stopping people from lying about your income?

I under state my income by $100k....wonder if that is fraud? Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What does AA mean?

It means Adverse Action. 

Message 22 of 47
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@merlinflex wrote:

I under state my income by $100k....wonder if that is fraud? Smiley Happy

You're going down. You don't qualify for food stamps.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 23 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know that people ain't abusing it. But I'm pretty sure they can find out if they want. Don't even need to ask you.
Message 24 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@creditguy wrote:

What keeps a person from lying? Their conscious!! Either you have morals or you don't. If you have morals you don't lie, plain and simple. Have people fudged a bit? I'm sure. A person who fudges may round off $39,975 to $40k, no big deal, but still technically a lie, probably not going to cause any AA or scrutiny, now a person who adds thousands well that's a different matter. You may not see a jail cell for lying about income, but your definitely going to lose a card if caught and probably find yourself on a blacklist, in some cases depending on the card, jail would be the less harsh punishment than blacklisting. Why take a chance? 

OT, but "plain and simple" usually is an over-simplification.   A great example, from a Kaplan SAT prep class I saw:  "An person wielding a huge bloody ax bursts into your house.   Your younger sister manages to hide in a closet but you are too slow.   The person sees you, raises the ax and says "Where is your sister?" "   To avoid being immoral, do you point to the closet and say "In there"?  Probably not.

As I said, OT!

Message 25 of 47
Open123
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Now, let's say you're flying high and had perpetuaded such fraud (since it is fraud) and fell on hard times, again just an example (I can almost guarantee it happens), well if an individual decides to file BK or is sued by a lender and the income piece comes into light?  what do you thing the justice system will do?

+1

Right, it's best not to lie.  Things happen in life and BK laws are there to protect us when they do.  However, if it's shown that a person has been willfully untruthful, it becomes fraud. 

Message 26 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

well on my cc's applications/ when i request increases, they always have a little notifiaction saying if you're over 21 you can include income that you can have access to, so i always include my parents' and my boyfriend's income.

Message 27 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a ponderous subject. They don't check unless they pull FR on you, then you know. In my entire credit history, the only times I've been required to "prove it", has been when I've opened a new credit line, and even then, it's been rare. I'm not telling anyone not to tell the truth, but if you haven't and you get called on it, you also have the option to decline and close the account.Be aware that fraudulent activity can become criminal activity, if you file for bankruptcy.

Message 28 of 47
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I'm going to guess apps are approved/denied by a computer that reviews the info provided along with credit reports. Amazing all of that can be done in seconds.  (Mod Cut)

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 29 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you claim to be a millionaire, then make a $25 payment, your creditors are probably going to have a WFT moment. Smiley Wink

Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.