Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the Fuss all about?

tag
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the Fuss all about?

I'm not sure which Amex he'd like but what I'm wondering is which gas card does he have that gives him 6% back??

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 20
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

He is retired and has a great pension from years at the county before PERS went to crap.  He PIF's each month and I'd say the majority of his money goes to buying things for his home - likes to work around his 7 acres - he camps a lot.  Just bought some sort of Ford cheap small car w/ cash - I'd say his gross income is less than 60.  He says he only uses his Visa when he makes online purchases.  (which would probably amount to 1-2 hundred bucks a month.)  He has what he needs and is comfortable.

Maybe the first resopnse was right - that I just need to advise him of nothing.  But he knew not one thing about a credit score his whole life and got where he is by never once ever paying anything late and working hard.  Conservative.

If he is missing out on some amazing advantage somewhere I should tell him though.

If he likes doing his own work on his home (you mentioned buying things for his home, I instantly think DIY home improvement etc), camping, gardening\landscaping etc on 7 acres. Chase with revolving 5% might be something he'd find interesting. You can find out their rewards structure (for the Chase Freedom Visa card) on their website. They'll also give him $100 cash back after spending $500 on the card in the first 3 months (I think 3 months, you'd have to check their site). Considering he'd probably always PIF when the bill came, he'd get a bit of a refund on his usual purchases with it I'd think.

With so many rewards cards out there with no AF, I agree with others that Amex might not be his best fit.  Just my 2 cents.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 12 of 20
guydiver
Established Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Booner72 wrote:

He is retired and has a great pension from years at the county before PERS went to crap.  He PIF's each month and I'd say the majority of his money goes to buying things for his home - likes to work around his 7 acres - he camps a lot.  Just bought some sort of Ford cheap small car w/ cash - I'd say his gross income is less than 60.  He says he only uses his Visa when he makes online purchases.  (which would probably amount to 1-2 hundred bucks a month.)  He has what he needs and is comfortable.

Maybe the first resopnse was right - that I just need to advise him of nothing.  But he knew not one thing about a credit score his whole life and got where he is by never once ever paying anything late and working hard.  Conservative.

If he is missing out on some amazing advantage somewhere I should tell him though.

As far amazing advantage, with average $150 a month, even the best rewards are less than $5. 

If a lot of his online purchases are from a particular store that has a credit card, that would be a good card to consider.

IMO, Amex is not a good fit.   They are more for travelors and bigger spenders. 

CU card sounds like a better fit.   You may want to review the features of the card he has.   

Credit unions fit people like your dad.  If my Fico was 830, and I was retired, I would be in the boat with your dad, hopefully catchin' some good fish.Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 20
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@Odiseous wrote:

@Booner72 wrote:

That depends. Does his CU credit card have a rewards program? If not, you could start with that. 

The AmEx Website does a fairly good job at touting the benefits of having an AmEx. 

On the other hand; your dad may not want to deal with the hassle of managing more credit cards. 

When I went to visit my father a few months ago, I asked him if he was interested in switching to USAA (he's ex military).  Before anyone asks; Yes, I asked because I was interested in helping him posibly get great benefits as a member. But I was honest with myself; and knew that I was also hoping to piggyback into the USAA membership circle if he went with them. 

However: he said he was comfortable with his current credit union through his job, and just wanted to keep things simple. So I dropped it. One brief conversation; then no more discussion about it. IMO: any benefits gained, wouldn't be worth the possible strain on the relationship, should something go haywire.

So; you may want to show your father the AmEx website, to just show him what he may be missing. But I'd take a hard look at *why* you are doing it. Is your sole reason to help your father maximize his rewards? Are you looking to piggyback onto his hard work (such as being added as an AU, to his stellar score)? Or; is it somewhere in between? 

Sometimes keeping things simple, has a substantial value. 

No.  I want nothing out of this.

--- Thanks for all the thoughtful responses and the time, you guys.  I really appreciate it.  I'll ask him if he gets rewards w/ his CU visa but I'm seriously doubting it bc I just got the same card (Prob more interest) and no rewards, though you can take cash advances w/o any fees which I thought was pretty cool.

I'll find out which gas card he uses and come back and post.

Thanks again!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since he does  lot of camping which requires some driving, I would recommend a good gas card.

Everyone could use that since anyone who drives has to pay for gas.

The AMEX Blue Cash Everyday offers 3% groceries, 2% gas stations and department stores, 1% everything else.

AMEX Blue Cash Preferred offers 6% groceries, 3% gas and dep't stores, 1% everything else. It has a $75 annual fee, but if he spends a lot on gas and groceries, the card will more than outweigh the AF. This is probably one of the best cash back cards out there for common expenses. In my opinion, I even like 1% back....it is better than nothing.

He could also shop online through AMEX. You say he makes purchases online (me too). They may be partners with stores and your dad can earn bonuses.

The thing I enjoy the most to really make my rewards grow is by shopping online through  CC sites. I use AMEX, Chase Ultimate Reward Store and Discover shopping. I made  purchase with HSN last week through Chase rewards. I got 10x/per $1 on that purchase. Effectively, 10%. Pretty nice!

Message 15 of 20
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Booner72 wrote:

So I am definitely not in the ranks of getting an AMEX anytime soon.  But my daddyo has an 830 Credit Score and his cards are a credit union Visa and some gas card that gives him 6% off. 

I'm wondering if I should tell him the benefits of an AMEX and tell him what he's missing?  I just don't know anything about them.  Thanks in advance for the "Best Benefits of AMEX" words of wisdom.  Also, if you had an 830 credit score, which AMEX would you get, and why?  Or if not AMEX, which card and why?  I think he can do better than a CU Visa.

Why would you give him advice about something that you admittingly, know nothing about?   IMO, keep quiet.

If I read this correctly, OP was upfront that he didn't know anything thats why he posted this to ask for the 'benefits'

He is trying to get educated on the benefits of AMEX and which cards from the 'veterans' AMEX .

OP is presuming that AMEX would be a good and is asking for sales pitch ammo without considering what is dad's credit needs are. AMEX may not be a good fit at all.

What in the world is wrong with people on this one?  This is a perfectly reasonable question.  And if you're going to tell people to keep quiet, maybe you should read a little more carefully.  OP didn't blindly assume Amex would be the best card.  OP clearly asked for suggestions other than Amex.

I like Amex because in my experience they have good customer service.  I have a purchase right now with United that they need to refund because they rerouted my flight and didn't have space in Economy Plus which I had purchased.  I've written them twice and they haven't refunded the charge for upgraded seats.  I'm about to call Amex and just dispute the charge.  They've been very good at taking care of this kind of thing for me in the past.  This is by no means unique to them, but they really seem to go to bat for their customers.

I also like the card because I think the travel rewards I earn on my PR Gold card and SPG card are great.  But you have to put a fairly large amount of spend through the cards to offset the fees and make it worthwhile.  It doesn't sound like your dad does that.

If your dad is interested in travel rewards, with such great scores, if he isn't looking at a mortgage anytime soon, he might look at signing up for a few cards just for the bonuses.  He could earn a free trip by signing up for three to four cards.  You can still get 100K AA miles by signing up for both a Citi AA Visa and Amex.  Another 50K if you then sign up for a Citi AA business card.  Chase Sapphire Preferred still has their 50K bonus going I think.  And I believe Ink Bold has another offer for 50K Ultimate rewards points. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 16 of 20
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

I think if Dad is content with what he has, then what's the big deal?  Not to be rude, but it seems that maybe you want to live vicariously through Dad and his score?  I'm sure Dad hasn't been living under a rock all of these years and if he has credit cards then he's obviously heard of AmEx,  but for whatever HIS reasons are he doesn't feel the need to have one or the need to be a part of "the club"....whatever that club may be or mean.  If he's got an 830 score with two regular ole cards then good for him.  What some folks on this board fail to understand is that just because you have a great score doesn't mean you need those prime cards to justify it.  Credit score is not about what prime cards one has, but about managing the cards that you do.  You can have three secured cards and have an 830 score.  If that person is content with those secured cards then what's the big deal?  AmEx isn't for everyone and being in "the club" may not appeal to everyone.  I say leave Dad be.

Message 17 of 20
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@jasimae wrote:

I think if Dad is content with what he has, then what's the big deal?  Not to be rude, but it seems that maybe you want to live vicariously through Dad and his score?  I'm sure Dad hasn't been living under a rock all of these years and if he has credit cards then he's obviously heard of AmEx,  but for whatever HIS reasons are he doesn't feel the need to have one or the need to be a part of "the club"....whatever that club may be or mean.  If he's got an 830 score with two regular ole cards then good for him.  What some folks on this board fail to understand is that just because you have a great score doesn't mean you need those prime cards to justify it.  Credit score is not about what prime cards one has, but about managing the cards that you do.  You can have three secured cards and have an 830 score.  If that person is content with those secured cards then what's the big deal?  AmEx isn't for everyone and being in "the club" may not appeal to everyone.  I say leave Dad be.

I feel like I'm on another planet today.  Someone has recently learned alot about credit through these boards and wants to share that with their father.  The person wants to learn some more and see if there is any way that their dad can leverage their score to better benefit.  That's what these boards are all about.  Once you start reading here, it's actually quite amazing how much you realize that people don't understand how their credit score works, how many myths there are that people operate under.  So I don't think it's at all accurate to assume that dad necessarily knows everything and couldn't benefit from anything Booner has to share.  I share things I've learned here with my parents all the time.  And I don't do it to piggyback off of their scores.

Maybe Booner and Dad don't live in the same town.  Maybe a travel card would allow them to see each other more often.  Maybe there are grandchildren involved and they'd be able to see their grandfather more often.  Maybe dad could use an extra $500 in his pocket, who couldn't.  There are tons of reasons why this is a legitimate question.  The rush to judgment here that OP wants something out of it or wants to live vicariously through dad's score is patently ridiculous. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 18 of 20
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

Walt_K:  I respect your opinion.  Opinions are like "blank"....everybody has one (Hoping you know the rest of that saying so I'm not even going to go there) I don't know Booner from a can of paint.  He/she could live next door to me.  I'm merely saying that Dad's been doing pretty dang on good all these years.  And quite frankly, Booner is on these boards, not Dad, so that goes to tell you whose been managing their credit.  (Booner, no offense to you.  I've come to know of you through these boards and have noticed that you always have relevant posts and offer supportive and encouraging feedback...I'm just making a point, not taking away from you...congrats on the house, by the way!.) Obviously Dad knows all he needs to know...he's the one boasting the 830 score.  If he felt he needed to do better then I'm sure he would have.  Cleary Booner is looking out for Dad and not attempting to bamboozle his credit.  However, what we think someone needs is not necessarily what they need.  Bottom line, if it ain't broke it don't need fixin'.  So maybe you are on another planet today if you can't accept my opinion for what it is.

Message 19 of 20
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Thread is locked and under moderator review. I'm not sure what is so difficult about being friendly, supportive, and respectful.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.