Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the Fuss all about?

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

What's the Fuss all about?

So I am definitely not in the ranks of getting an AMEX anytime soon.  But my daddyo has an 830 Credit Score and his cards are a credit union Visa and some gas card that gives him 6% off. 

I'm wondering if I should tell him the benefits of an AMEX and tell him what he's missing?  I just don't know anything about them.  Thanks in advance for the "Best Benefits of AMEX" words of wisdom.  Also, if you had an 830 credit score, which AMEX would you get, and why?  Or if not AMEX, which card and why?  I think he can do better than a CU Visa.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: What's the Fuss all about?

@Booner72 wrote:

So I am definitely not in the ranks of getting an AMEX anytime soon.  But my daddyo has an 830 Credit Score and his cards are a credit union Visa and some gas card that gives him 6% off. 

I'm wondering if I should tell him the benefits of an AMEX and tell him what he's missing?  I just don't know anything about them.  Thanks in advance for the "Best Benefits of AMEX" words of wisdom.  Also, if you had an 830 credit score, which AMEX would you get, and why?  Or if not AMEX, which card and why?  I think he can do better than a CU Visa.

Why would you give him advice about something that you admittingly, know nothing about?   IMO, keep quiet.

Message 2 of 20
CS800
Super Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Booner72 wrote:

Why would you give him advice about something that you admittingly, know nothing about?   IMO, keep quiet.

If I read this correctly, OP was upfront that he didn't know anything thats why he posted this to ask for the 'benefits'

He is trying to get educated on the benefits of AMEX and which cards from the 'veterans' AMEX .

Message 3 of 20
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Booner72 wrote:

If I read this correctly, OP was upfront that he didn't know anything thats why he posted this to ask for the 'benefits'

He is trying to get educated on the benefits of AMEX and which cards from the 'veterans' AMEX .

Agreed. Without discounting the benefits of Amex -- I just got one, but will leave the veterans to comment on it -- some CU are quite awsome. If OP looks around the forum he/she will see that many here like them.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 4 of 20
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Booner72 wrote:

OP is presuming that AMEX would be a good and is asking for sales pitch ammo without considering what is dad's credit needs are. AMEX may not be a good fit at all.

Message 5 of 20
CS800
Super Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Booner72 wrote:

OP is presuming that AMEX would be a good and is asking for sales pitch ammo without considering what is dad's credit needs are. AMEX may not be a good fit at all.

I'm sure he will get both the good and bad so as you said, AMEX may not be a good fit at all. We can let him decide once he gets an educated approach from the AMEX gurus.

With an 830 Score, daddy yo is doing something right Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 20
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

OK Booner72,

Without knowing anything about your dad spending habits.   I suggest you start with this.

Hey Dad, Don't you want a credit card that at any time will deny the charges and demand to see 2 years of tax returns.   Wouldn't that be fun!

Seriously, tell us what your dad spending habits are, and let people advise about all the credit products.

Message 7 of 20
Booner72
Senior Contributor

He is retired and has a great pension from years at the county before PERS went to crap.  He PIF's each month and I'd say the majority of his money goes to buying things for his home - likes to work around his 7 acres - he camps a lot.  Just bought some sort of Ford cheap small car w/ cash - I'd say his gross income is less than 60.  He says he only uses his Visa when he makes online purchases.  (which would probably amount to 1-2 hundred bucks a month.)  He has what he needs and is comfortable.

Maybe the first resopnse was right - that I just need to advise him of nothing.  But he knew not one thing about a credit score his whole life and got where he is by never once ever paying anything late and working hard.  Conservative.

If he is missing out on some amazing advantage somewhere I should tell him though.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 8 of 20
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

He is retired and has a great pension from years at the county before PERS went to crap.  He PIF's each month and I'd say the majority of his money goes to buying things for his home - likes to work around his 7 acres - he camps a lot.  Just bought some sort of Ford cheap small car w/ cash - I'd say his gross income is less than 60.  He says he only uses his Visa when he makes online purchases.  (which would probably amount to 1-2 hundred bucks a month.)  He has what he needs and is comfortable.

Maybe the first resopnse was right - that I just need to advise him of nothing.  But he knew not one thing about a credit score his whole life and got where he is by never once ever paying anything late and working hard.  Conservative.

If he is missing out on some amazing advantage somewhere I should tell him though.

That depends. Does his CU credit card have a rewards program? If not, you could start with that. 

The AmEx Website does a fairly good job at touting the benefits of having an AmEx. 

On the other hand; your dad may not want to deal with the hassle of managing more credit cards. 

When I went to visit my father a few months ago, I asked him if he was interested in switching to USAA (he's ex military).  Before anyone asks; Yes, I asked because I was interested in helping him posibly get great benefits as a member. But I was honest with myself; and knew that I was also hoping to piggyback into the USAA membership circle if he went with them. 

However: he said he was comfortable with his current credit union through his job, and just wanted to keep things simple. So I dropped it. One brief conversation; then no more discussion about it. IMO: any benefits gained, wouldn't be worth the possible strain on the relationship, should something go haywire.

So; you may want to show your father the AmEx website, to just show him what he may be missing. But I'd take a hard look at *why* you are doing it. Is your sole reason to help your father maximize his rewards? Are you looking to piggyback onto his hard work (such as being added as an AU, to his stellar score)? Or; is it somewhere in between? 

Sometimes keeping things simple, has a substantial value. 

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 9 of 20
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

As far amazing advantage, with average $150 a month, even the best rewards are less than $5. 

If a lot of his online purchases are from a particular store that has a credit card, that would be a good card to consider.

IMO, Amex is not a good fit.   They are more for travelors and bigger spenders. 

CU card sounds like a better fit.   You may want to review the features of the card he has.   

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.