cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best credit card for me? Details inside.

tag
mroneeyedboh
New Visitor

What's the best credit card for me? Details inside.

So,

Ive had great credit my whole life and currently my scores are around 775+. I was going to do a FICO score check but I dont want to have to pay 20 bucks per check. Im not too concerned with my credit score. I know its pretty good, especially for my age. The only issue Im always told and I always read is that I dont have a credit card.. They said its hurting my score, hence why Im here.

So what's the best card for someone like me thats never had one? Id use it for misc purchases, like tires for a car, gas etc. I dont even want a card, but if its going to help me then sure why not... Any and all help on which way to point me, recommendations on cards and all that.

Thanks guys

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the best credit card for me? Details inside.

@mroneeyedboh wrote:

So,

Ive had great credit my whole life and currently my scores are around 775+. I was going to do a FICO score check but I dont want to have to pay 20 bucks per check. Im not too concerned with my credit score. I know its pretty good, especially for my age. The only issue Im always told and I always read is that I dont have a credit card.. They said its hurting my score, hence why Im here.

So what's the best card for someone like me thats never had one? Id use it for misc purchases, like tires for a car, gas etc. I dont even want a card, but if its going to help me then sure why not... Any and all help on which way to point me, recommendations on cards and all that.

Thanks guys

If your scores are that high, you can pick any card you want. Honestly, I don't see how your score are that high without any credit card at all, maybe someone can educate me. Anyway, BoA Cash Rewards is good, Chase Freedom is good, Discover IT is good, all have no AF.

Have you try creditkarma.com or creditsesame.com? It's all fako, but will give you an idea to where you are.

Who do you bank with? Maybe try their credit card.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 2 of 27
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

My first credit card with zero credit was with Chase at 18 years old.  The credit limit was $500.  So you can try them, and I also have seen numerous times Capital One extends credit to those with little or fairly bad (which would not be your case) credit.  I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Although I believe Capital One has an annual fee. Unless you get their student card, there is no annual fee for that one if I remember correctly.

Message 3 of 27
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum. You say you have great credit. What are you basing that on; installment loans, car, student loans?

Have you applied for any credit recently? Are you a student?

Sorry for the questions - on mobile now and can't see your siggy
Message 4 of 27
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

If you just looking for a card just for the heck of it, then I said go for something that has 0 annual fee, cashbook rewards, and one that's builds with you.

American Express BCE - 3% on grocery / 2% on gas / 1% on everthing else

Bank of America Cash Reward - 3% on gas / 2% on grocery / 1% on everything else

Chase Freedom - 5% different category every quarter

Citi Simplicity - No fees for late payment / No penalty rates

Discover IT - 5% different category every quarter

But, trust me once you get one, you want more and more...

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 5 of 27
mroneeyedboh
New Visitor

There isnt any reason for me to make this stuff up haha. My score is that high I guess because Ive had cards before, just nothing now and for the past say 7 years. I have also had two cars under my name too. and I have found my scores a few different times ( small loan taken out at the local CU ) and Im currently looking for a house and they ran my credit and they told me what they were. I am not a student neither. I have also had two student loans that are paid off too.

I bank with a local Credit Union. I seen they have a card, but its 10.99 APR. That seems high to me. I dont k now whats considered good. I do value my credit score and as pretty good for a guy thats under 30, and well under it. So Im trying to find a card that can " reward" me for that and give me some good benefits.

As far as the cards are concerned, then yeah.. I want to have something that doesnt have a yearly fee and a low APR. Plus I would be using it mostly for gas, so that would be a HUGE plus on rewards or whatever they do for gas purchases...

Message 6 of 27
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

If you still have cc history on your cr. then that will be helpful for you. You mention you are looking for a house; will that be in the next 6-8 mos?
Message 7 of 27
mroneeyedboh
New Visitor

Yes on the house, and I just did the Credit Karma and it says 701. Not sure what that means.  Wel I know its a score, but Im not sure how accurate.

Message 8 of 27
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

Get the one from your CU, if you don't like it later just try a different lender.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 9 of 27
mroneeyedboh
New Visitor

The one from my CU is very bland. Like I said Id like something that gives for gas and Diesel, plus have no AF and low APR.. Maybe Im asking too much?

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.