cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?

I was looking at CapitalOne Quicksilver and M&T signature as well as BankAmercaTravel Card. I need a mastercard because it's accepted everywhere and I don't spend enough to justify annual fees. What card do you guys recommend?

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?

@Subexistence wrote:

I was looking at CapitalOne Quicksilver and M&T signature as well as BankAmercaTravel Card. I need a mastercard because it's accepted everywhere and I don't spend enough to justify annual fees. What card do you guys recommend?

There are dozens of Mastercards that have no foreign transaction fees - including this list Mastercard has on it's own website:

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/find-card-products/categories/no-foreign-transaction-fee.p...

However, if i were you I would figure out exactly what you're going to be spending on and look for something that will not only have zero FTF, but also give you rewards in some way that fits your lifestyle or what have you.

If you just want simple straight cash-back, just get the CapitalOne Quicksilver MC. 

Also - depending on where you travel, you may want to consider a Visa instead as they have a bit higher acceptance abroad than Mastercard.

Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?

The "best" is subjective. Do you have any other requirements besides no AF, no FTF? I think the Captal One Venture One or Quicksilver card would foot the bill; mainly WEMC's with no AF and no FTF and both earn rewards. There is also the copy-cat Barclay's Arrival card. 

If you are looking for a basic, no AF, no FTF MasterCard that also offers Chip + PIN priority for international travel, you could join First Tech FCU (anybody can join) and apply for one of their cards. 

Are the Discover and US Bank cards in your signature your only cards? If so, Capital One may be the best way to go. 

Message 3 of 33
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The "best" is subjective. Do you have any other requirements besides no AF, no FTF? I think the Captal One Venture One or Quicksilver card would foot the bill; mainly WEMC's with no AF and no FTF and both earn rewards. There is also the copy-cat Barclay's Arrival card. 

If you are looking for a basic, no AF, no FTF MasterCard that also offers Chip + PIN priority for international travel, you could join First Tech FCU (anybody can join) and apply for one of their cards. 

Are the Discover and US Bank cards in your signature your only cards? If so, Capital One may be the best way to go. 

The answer to all youor questions is yes

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 4 of 33
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Navy

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Slight change in topic, Does Navy FCU have a way to get in if your not military?  My late  father was a Navy Pilot in WWII.  I just missed  going to beautiful SE Asia  by luck.  

Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Slight change in topic, Does Navy FCU have a way to get in if your not military?  My late  father was a Navy Pilot in WWII.  I just missed  going to beautiful SE Asia  by luck.  

Ongoing threads about this all over. Check under 'Personal Finance' here for instructions.

Message 7 of 33
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

The Quicksilver is great. Other cards that fit the requirements you mentioned are Barclay Ring and Barclay Jet Blue.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Please read only the first posting of this thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Navy-Federal-CU-The-REAL-way-in-for-those-that-dont-qualify/m-p/4598275#M8096

You may read, this thread as well for helpful tips:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/NLUS-San-Diego-alive-and-well/td-p/4640823

Message 9 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Subexistence wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The answer to all youor questions is yes

I would suggest Capital One then. You choose the best reward for you: the Venture One with the sign up bonus points that can be used for travel then 1.25 points per dollar or the 1.5% cash back on Quicksilver. I think these are your best bet. 

ETA: changed Quicksilver One with Venture One; thanks UncleB

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.