cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best way to give someone money using CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the best way to give someone money using CC?

I'm paying someone to watch my dogs while I'm away for the holidays and I'm trying to figure out the best way to use my credit card to do so, as I'd like it to go towards my bonus spend on my CSP. The best way I've found so far is buying a Visa Gift Card from giftcards.com, which has a $3.95 fee.

Any other suggestions?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: What's the best way to give someone money using CC?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm paying someone to watch my dogs while I'm away for the holidays and I'm trying to figure out the best way to use my credit card to do so, as I'd like it to go towards my bonus spend on my CSP. The best way I've found so far is buying a Visa Gift Card from giftcards.com, which has a $3.95 fee.

Any other suggestions?

PayPal!

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Venmo take CCs? https://venmo.com

Edit: I seem to recall PayPal having a 5% fee. 

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Any other suggestions?

NOT Paypal.  Absolutely not.  They are NOT like they were when they first came to be years ago. 

If you are a NFCU member you can purchase VISA gift cards for free ( no fees). 

Message 4 of 18
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

Amex Serve PrePaid card. Upload money from your credit card to your serve card using a :

Capital one

chase

barclay

FIA

As of 2 mo ths ago Citi does NOT consider this as a purchase anymore.

you have serval options to pay them once you upload the funds.

1. Go to ATM and withdrawal the cash

2.have your dog sitter get a free Amex Serve card and transfer the funds to their card

3. Have Amex cut them a check in their name sent to the address you provide them. ( 5 day turn around )

Message 5 of 18
elim
Senior Contributor

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

Amex Serve PrePaid card. Upload money from your credit card to your serve card using a :

Capital one

chase

barclay

FIA

you have serval options to pay them once you upload the funds.

1. Go to ATM and withdrawal the cash

2.have your dog sitter get a free Amex Serve card and transfer the funds to their card

3. Have Amex cut them a check in their name sent to the address you provide them. ( 5 day turn around )

+1

Message 6 of 18
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

Are you sure? DW used a Citi card to fund Serve less than two months ago and got full points.

The various options may not be entirely worry-free. I wonder in particular how strict Chase is.

Message 7 of 18
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

Are you sure? DW used a Citi card to fund Serve less than two months ago and got full points.

The various options may not be entirely worry-free. I wonder in particular how strict Chase is.

My Partner used his citi card like always , but this time was charged cash advance fees. Maybe not all customers are affected, but please have DW do a test deposit of

only $20 just in case they do charge fees. Better to test with $20 than $200. Lol. Keep us posted on how it goes please. 

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

They could signup for Square and you could add the transaction fee to the total amount you are paying them.

Message 9 of 18
sosabe77
Contributor

If you want to test if you will be charged a cash advance fee without actually getting hit with the fee, just call your credit card company and have your cash advance limit set to $0.  Then go attempt your purchase.  If your purchase goes through, it was not coded as a cash advance.  If your purchase is declined, then you know it was coded as a cash advance...but you avoided the fee with the $0 limit.

Top 3: Amex BCP 25k - Chase Sapphire 17.5k - PSECU 20K

Starting Score: 714
Current Score: 759
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.