What's the big deal about having an AMEX card

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: What's the big deal about having an AMEX card

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@TM82 wrote:
All my Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards have no earning caps.

Didn't realize this.

Since I'm so close to a UA hub, and have been impressed with the Chase (my first Chase personal card) explorer card, I think I'm going to try the CS Preferred.  The 2X on hotels and dining with no forex is really nice. I could really use UR rewards to transfer over to UA and Mariott hotels.

The CSP is a great card. For earning points it's better than the explorer. You have even more bonus categories plus you can transfer points to UA and others if needed. Get the CSP for spending and hold the explorer for the travel benefits.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.  Explorer has access to the UA lounges which Amex doesn't.  The CSP will solve my forex issue, and the various places that won't take Amex, which becomes more important abroad.

Message 31 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed it's a prestigious card and heck the cash back is awesome, Costco rocks! 

Message 32 of 40
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@TM82 wrote:
All my Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards have no earning caps.

Didn't realize this.

Since I'm so close to a UA hub, and have been impressed with the Chase (my first Chase personal card) explorer card, I think I'm going to try the CS Preferred.  The 2X on hotels and dining with no forex is really nice. I could really use UR rewards to transfer over to UA and Mariott hotels.

The CSP is a great card. For earning points it's better than the explorer. You have even more bonus categories plus you can transfer points to UA and others if needed. Get the CSP for spending and hold the explorer for the travel benefits.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.  Explorer has access to the UA lounges which Amex doesn't.  The CSP will solve my forex issue, and the various places that won't take Amex, which becomes more important abroad.

With the CSP, it's not just hotels and dining for the bonus categories. You get 2x points on all travel-related charges which includes airlines (airfare, fees, lounge access, etc.), hotels, trains, cruises, taxis and town cars, limos, rental cars, parking, etc. The bonuses arent capped and with the 7% annual dividend, you're really getting 2.14 points per dollar on travel or dining related purchases.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 33 of 40
GoingTo800
Contributor

In my opinion there is no big deal in getting a Amex. No credit card really has prestige.. Its all in the mindset. As far as prestige goes I think a pocket full of greenbacks is a heck of a lot more prestigious lol. A lot of people try for a amex so when you come here and read it you get hooked on the " I have to get one to". Some people that travel a lot seem to have better rewards with the Amex than other cards. Myself, I prefer a Navy fed CC any day of the week over Amex, easy to work with , awesome customer service, good credit lines and no real fear of it getting declined for a financial review unless you so really dumb things and visa/Mc are accepted at more places than Amex around me. Its kind of the same mindset with Apping, how often before reading these or other credit card forums did you get the I have to app itch? But..once you read about other approvals and clis you get hooked on wanting them to because others are. I hope everyone is able to get whatever financial products they need and I hope these boards do that for them, but there is a huge difference between need and want Smiley Happy For most consumers 1 or 2 credit cards would cover whatever they need in the world for daily life and emergencies, doesnt change the fact most of us here want 10 and our "wallet" will never truly feel complete because there will always be another goal after we achieve whichever one we think is the end all be all now.
Equifax Feb 2012 690
TU Feb 2012 720
Message 34 of 40
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@GoingTo800 wrote:
In my opinion there is no big deal in getting a Amex. No credit card really has prestige.. Its all in the mindset. As far as prestige goes I think a pocket full of greenbacks is a heck of a lot more prestigious lol. A lot of people try for a amex so when you come here and read it you get hooked on the " I have to get one to". Some people that travel a lot seem to have better rewards with the Amex than other cards. Myself, I prefer a Navy fed CC any day of the week over Amex, easy to work with , awesome customer service, good credit lines and no real fear of it getting declined for a financial review unless you so really dumb things and visa/Mc are accepted at more places than Amex around me. Its kind of the same mindset with Apping, how often before reading these or other credit card forums did you get the I have to app itch? But..once you read about other approvals and clis you get hooked on wanting them to because others are. I hope everyone is able to get whatever financial products they need and I hope these boards do that for them, but there is a huge difference between need and want Smiley Happy For most consumers 1 or 2 credit cards would cover whatever they need in the world for daily life and emergencies, doesnt change the fact most of us here want 10 and our "wallet" will never truly feel complete because there will always be another goal after we achieve whichever one we think is the end all be all now.

++1 Excellent post

Message 35 of 40
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@GoingTo800 wrote:

+1

good post!

I think for me the fact that I've neveer had an AMEX before makes it more exciting and interesting to get!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 36 of 40
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:
With the CSP, it's not just hotels and dining for the bonus categories. You get 2x points on all travel-related charges which includes airlines (airfare, fees, lounge access, etc.), hotels, trains, cruises, taxis and town cars, limos, rental cars, parking, etc. The bonuses arent capped and with the 7% annual dividend, you're really getting 2.14 points per dollar on travel or dining related purchases.

You know, this would be a better rewards card to use than my Amex charge for my personal spending.  2.14% and transferring to UA, Mariott, and Hyatt makes this a great card.  I didn't know about the 7% bonus, uncapped spending (had thought it was similar to Freedom in its restrictions), and 2X on almost all travel related services.

Message 37 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

You mean the American Excess card?

Message 38 of 40
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You mean the American Excess card?

explain?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 39 of 40
dharalex
Established Contributor

Personally, everyone has his own special reasons, many of which I agree. But for me, I fell in love with the backdating...no one else does that to my knowledge. Also, no one has given me $20CL! I would never spend that much in 1 month, but the idea that I have a $2000 balance an only use 10% of the total limit is very appealing. I love having a cushion for emergencies which other cards have not afforded me. Also, I know other companies have similar benefits, but Amex, IMHO, executes those benefit with greater ease than other companies I've worked with.
I have experienced every type of card except one from a credit union, and Amex has just been the best overall for my needs.

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.