Did you mean: 

What's the big deal with the Ring?

tag
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: What's the big deal with the Ring?

@Anonymous wrote:
+1

No CU is offering 8% unsecured to sub 700 FICO.

This card does just that!

And Barclays will shut down a revolver in a NY minute (AA in the form of CLD) if they appear to need the credit to get by/ carry "emergency" balances unlike most CU so the fantasy of the 8% major bank card on the back burner if things go south can be just that, an illusionSmiley Sad

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 41 of 85
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
+1

And Barclays will shut down a revolver in a NY minute (AA in the form of CLD) if they appear to need the credit to get by/ carry "emergency" balances unlike most CU so the fantasy of the 8% major bank card on the back burner if things go south can be just that, an illusionSmiley Sad

I did not know that. Wow. I'm finding more reasons to really dislike them though to be fair, I've heard of stories like that from Amex too.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 42 of 85
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The "big deal" is irrelevant.  Never rely on popularity, hype etc to select cards.  Use your needs/wants to find cards that suit you.  Don't just follow the crowd.  If you've read the details on a card and it doesn't suit you them move on.

Message 43 of 85
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The "big deal" is irrelevant.  Never rely on popularity, hype etc to select cards.  Use your needs/wants to find cards that suit you.  Don't just follow the crowd.  If you've read the details on a card and it doesn't suit you them move on.

That's why I chose this card, research. We must all do what's best for us. Get cards you think you'll use and get a benefit out of. For me, this is a last resort kind of card. I know that's not the best way to think about it but it's good to have. If you're the type that requires cashback/rewards to see benefit in a card then this card is not for you. Pretty simple.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 44 of 85
score_building
Senior Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
+1

I did not know that. Wow. I'm finding more reasons to really dislike them though to be fair, I've heard of stories like that from Amex too.

Amex isn't typically the best option for carrying balances either, despite those who rely on their own or others anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

Both Amex and Barclays have been very good to me and I like having the RIng but don't delude myself to think that it is a reliable product for carrying significant balances for any length of time without opening up the real possibility of them moving to act with AA. CU cards are generally a better option for low rate revolvers, this is just one reason that CU are worthy of consideration if are not PIF or simply want a buffer.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 45 of 85
alexl22
Regular Contributor

My CU gave me 5k 8.75% with continuous 1.9% balance transfer options, no fee and you can have 10 BT going at once. This was all a tu score of around 640 maybe lower.

Starting Score: myFICO TU: 542, myFICO EQ: 556 EX: 549 (03/2013)
Current Score: 729 TU, EQ: 702, EX 724

Message 46 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

@alexl22 wrote:

My CU gave me 5k 8.75% with continuous 1.9% balance transfer options, no fee and you can have 10 BT going at once. This was all a tu score of around 640 maybe lower.

Link.

Message 47 of 85
alexl22
Regular Contributor

It's my local CU, and it looks like the best apr for this card is 8.25

http://www.members1st.org/learn/rates-center/visa-platinum-select-credit-card/

Message 48 of 85
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@alexl22 wrote:

Link.

Were you approved?

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 49 of 85
alexl22
Regular Contributor

I was approved for 3k, then uped to 5k 2 months later, then again to 7.5k last decemeber.

Message 50 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.