Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the big deal with the Sallie Mae

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the big deal with the Sallie Mae

@Anonymous wrote:
To the person that asked if we have large families why not apply for two cards: I feel like having two of the same cards (or anything for that matter) is redundant.

(a) Redundant is subjective; if your grocery spend is $260 pm and you're a family of 2, getting another SMMC may be redundant. However, as TMWC's chart shows, with large enough spending (when 1 SMMC is not enough anymore), 2 SMMCs can get in the range of $50-$100 more CB than say the BCP.

(b) It applies to other things as well; you might say having 2 iPhones in a family is redundant. Others will say that's what makes Facetime interesting. 

Anyway, if the incremental CB is not that appealing to you, I understand. A lot of things around here doesn't appeal to me either. I just pointed out that there's a way to get around a shortcoming that people mentioned. 

Message 91 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're correct, redundant is subjective. Which is why I prefaced my response with "I feel". I'm completely aware others feel differently; different strokes for different folks.
Message 92 of 162
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

If I wasn't in the garden I would get  SM card to compliment my Hubby's. As it is, we use his SM card, and then once we reach the cap we switch to my Cash builder... Which is only 1.75%, but we put such a low amount of spend on it it's not too bad. 

The real winner for us, like many, is Amazon. We spend a good $3-400/ month on Amazon. We use Amazon the way others use Walmart and Target. My most recent Amazon purchase were sponges. 

Sponges. 

The $750 cap is more than enough for our Amazon spend, and I have yet to see us get less than 5%. 

Have you tried the Aquasentials Mesh Pouf Bath Sponges (8 Pack) purchased via Amazon? They go so well with Body Wash...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 93 of 162
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I'm not sure what's with people in this thread. People are saying their opinion, including me, and so many responses are "well that's subjective! well this isn't your thread! well you think it's redundant but I don't"

Then the replier has to point out "I prefaced it with I feel...." which they shouldn't have to remind you that they are stating their opinion. This happened to me earlier in the thread, it happened to Heavenly Flower and now to  someone else.

What is with that?

It's an opinion forum. You're gonna get opinions from both sides. No need to reply to each post with "well that's subjective!" "that's your opinion". Of course it is.

Sometimes I think we get a little too carried away in defending cards we like. If it works for you and you like it, great. If not, it's not the end of the world if I or someone else doesn't like it as much. Just use it and enjoy it. I'm not taking it away from you. I don't have to agree. We can have a discussion without being reminded every two posts that we are discussing opinions.

Just take a deep breath and remember...it's just a credit card. It's not that serious. Some people like this card, others find it less useful, and it's all fine. We don't have to keep reminding each other that this is subjective. Everything posted on here aside from how FICO scoring works is basically subjective: experiences with issuers, opinions on cards, CLI experiences, blah blah blah...subjective material for the most part. It's a forum. It's how it goes. Let's not repeat it every two minutes.

Message 94 of 162
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The 10k limit they just gave me is a HUGE deal.

Smiley Indifferent

but in all seriousness, Its a GREAT card for single people. families would blow the caps instnatnly 

If you had a husband and wife get one card each i think its more than enough. 1500 on amazon a month. 500 on gas. 500 at the supermarket. Add in a target red debit like i have and most familys should be good to go. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 95 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well stated, kdm!
Message 96 of 162
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Thanks! We certainly do not need to defend CC's we like as if they are family members or something. I mean seriously. It's just a product at the end of the day. No need to write a defense essay for it or anything. Some like vanilla, some like chocolate. It's all good. Do what works for you and enjoy!

I've heard people say they would "rigorously defend" a card and started to question that perhaps they probably should not be so emotionally attached to a piece of plastic.

After all, cards can be cancelled at any time.

I'm all for discussing pros and cons and I feel we are doing that pretty well here, but the pro side sometimes (not just here) can get a little too hyped up with the defense.

Message 97 of 162
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Thanks! We certainly do not need to defend CC's we like as if they are family members or something. I mean seriously. It's just a product at the end of the day. No need to write a defense essay for it or anything. Some like vanilla, some like chocolate. It's all good. Do what works for you and enjoy!

I've heard people say they would "rigorously defend" a card and started to question that perhaps they probably should not be so emotionally attached to a piece of plastic.

After all, cards can be cancelled at any time.

I'm all for discussing pros and cons and I feel we are doing that pretty well here, but the pro side sometimes (not just here) can get a little too hyped up with the defense.

I think Vanilla Bean Ice Cream would give better taste per amount spent. Regular Vanilla is likely to have artificial vanillin extract...

Unfortunately i don'thave a chart created for that yet.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 98 of 162
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Please stay on topic.  

We do not need to voice our 'opinions' while at the same time discounting other's. 

Message 99 of 162
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I've been seeing this cards in peoples sigs and have read a lot of folks say they want to app for it, but me myself, can't find a reason to. I mean, I know it's a cash back card but aren't the BCP and ED better cards overall (besides AF). Why is it so desirable?

Its such a horrible card that i got two of them and my wife has her own as well ;-)

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 100 of 162
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.