tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's the big deal with the Sallie Mae

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I love my Redcard, the debit version. It keeps my Target spend in check haha, and it deducts 5% right then and there. I'm in Delaware, so no sales tax...I love getting 5% off. When I shop at a Target in a neighboring state, I always feel a bit slighted because the 5% is basically just deducting most of the tax, but it's still nice haha.

The credit Redcard is hit or miss with people, some report being stuck at tiny limits forever. Since at the moment they're only issuing the Target redcard credit as a store card (not Visa), I would just suggest the debit for most people. No reason to take a HP for the same benefits (5% off and free shipping on the site).

SO that's 2 of the 3 Target cards.  You left out the best one, Redcard Prepaid, 5% discount but loadable with your credit card (just before you check out, for the exact amount of purchase if you must, so not MS!) and you then get 5% plus whatever rewards your credit card gives you.

The Redcard Prepaid is only available in select states from what I've read online. At least not available in California.

It is available in some Targets in CA (although not listed on the site) and of course you can get it elsewhere.   But there are rumors of nationwide rollout later this year anyway.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's still the case, but I got mine in Hesperia, CA. I heard they also had them (at the time) in Victorville. If you're near either it's definitely worth the drive. 

The 5% CB from loading Sallie Mae + 5% off at Target is pretty amazing I have to say. All I need is a second Sallie Mae. Smiley Happy

Message 71 of 162
kdm31091
Super Contributor

OK, this is seriously not an anti-MS question, I am geniuinely curious.

Does Target's Redbird/reloadable Redcard/whatever actually permit loading via a CC or is it something you just "get lucky" and they allow you to do? Is it permitted to do within the rules? Again, I don't see an issue if you are using it for the amount of the purchase you are making. I'm just curious if it something expressely allowed or not, because that could always change

Message 72 of 162
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The 10k limit they just gave me is a HUGE deal.

Smiley Indifferent

but in all seriousness, Its a GREAT card for single people. families would blow the caps instnatnly 

Groceries maybe but $250 for gas is quite a bit, maybe not the person who drives a long way to work. Add in $750 on Amazon it's a pretty nifty card.

Btw, I love those graphs posted above.

P.S. On a side note, can you actually own 2 Sallie Mae's?

Yes. Just look in my signature. 

I just didn't apply for any new cards for a while, and used my Barclay cards well, and then just applied for the same card again.

It's easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy ...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 73 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

OK, this is seriously not an anti-MS question, I am geniuinely curious.

Does Target's Redbird/reloadable Redcard/whatever actually permit loading via a CC or is it something you just "get lucky" and they allow you to do? Is it permitted to do within the rules? Again, I don't see an issue if you are using it for the amount of the purchase you are making. I'm just curious if it something expressely allowed or not, because that could always change

The only explicit rule (aside from load limits) is that you can't load the prepaid card with a Target gift card. Some of the cashiers might get confused because they haven't loaded the prepaid card, but it will go through if they attempt it. Some specific stores don't allow CC loads from what I've heard as individual store policy, but I've had no issues in CA. 

My guess is that credit card loads will be stopped at some point, but who knows when that will be.

Message 74 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry guys, I have to respectfully disagree with the naysayers here. I think Sallie Mae is one of the top two no AF Cashback cards (the other being Double Cash). I'm going to be holding on to this card for dear life as long as Barclays will let me.

Message 75 of 162
kdm31091
Super Contributor

So it's not something that will likely last forever, but it sounds nice while it lasts. Thanks for the info!

It's not available here in Delaware anyway. I'll stick to my debit redcard.

Message 76 of 162
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Indifferent

but in all seriousness, Its a GREAT card for single people. families would blow the caps instnatnly 

Groceries maybe but $250 for gas is quite a bit, maybe not the person who drives a long way to work. Add in $750 on Amazon it's a pretty nifty card.

I just didn't apply for any new cards for a while, and used my Barclay cards well, and then just applied for the same card again.

Thank you much. I could see a 2nd one as my next card..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 77 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

So it's not something that will likely last forever, but it sounds nice while it lasts. Thanks for the info!

It's not available here in Delaware anyway. I'll stick to my debit redcard.

No problem. Hopefully you can get one soon. I might love mine more than I love my Sallie Mae. Smiley Happy

Message 78 of 162
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Indifferent

Thank you much. I could see a 2nd one as my next card..

You can own a second Sallie Mae WITH QUALIFICATIONS. If you app for a second one and your app requires manual processing of any sort, as mine did (in my case, address verification), they'll deny you because their official policy is that you can't have two of the same product. If you can get instant online approvals, then you can probably get a second SM.

I was denied a second Sallie Mae, but it worked out okay for me anyhow because they used the same HP to give me a 3.3x CLI on my first and only Sallie Mae. Smiley Happy

Message 79 of 162
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I was gonna say I find it a bit unlikely that anyone can just automatically get a 2nd of the same card. It's likely you either have to get lucky or hope they are not paying attention or something. Most issuers won't just approve you for multiple cards of the same product.

Message 80 of 162
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.