Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the big deal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's the big deal?

@RM21 wrote:

Yes you get to see more sights during your drive but on the other hand I'll get to see more sights in my desired location with less time getting there in some cases 

Driving also has it's downside you know if your driving long distance you almost lose 2 days of vacay. Resting before you leave and before getting back on the road for your return trip home.

I get off the plane ready to go (fresh) and ready for an adventure

You'll spend on gas to get there and back my jet fuel was free ...Lol

The 50k points if used correctly can have a value of $0.02 or more a pcs making them have a value of 100k+ points or upwards of $1k+ 

In closing it boils down to what's best for you, where you want to go and at what out of pocket cost you're willing to pay? Not to mention the time it takes to get there and how much of that time you get to enjoy

I am a fan of driving, only because I fear flying for various reasons. However, I know you are sooo right about this. I always think about the time I could have not driving. it just hasn't bothered me more than my fear for flying.

Mine is more a constitutional stance. The police can't search people at random, why can the TSA? We are giving up tiny bits of our rights at a time so people don''t even realize they are losing them. One day we are going to wake up and there aren't going to be any rights left.

That is a good point about using points for travel. But ya know what else I can use to do that?- Cash. So unless the points are earning at a higher rate than the cash cards, I still don't see a benefit.

Message 21 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Mine is more a constitutional stance. The police can't search people at random, why can the TSA? We are giving up tiny bits of our rights at a time so people don''t even realize they are losing them. One day we are going to wake up and there aren't going to be any rights left.

You're right, what the TSA does is unconstitutional.  However, this only applies to US Citizens.  The Constitution does not apply to non-US citizens.

As a US citizen, you may protest, but they may deny you entrance if you refuse.  You're free to bring a suit with SCOTUS and may win, but that isn't going to allow you to fly now.

Message 22 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

You're right, what the TSA does is unconstitutional.  However, this only applies to US Citizens.  The Constitution does not apply to non-US citizens.

?   Most of the constituional protections DO apply to non-citizens within the United States territories

Message 23 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
That is a good point about using points for travel. But ya know what else I can use to do that?- Cash. So unless the points are earning at a higher rate than the cash cards, I still don't see a benefit.

ANd that is of course the point.   The points CAN be redeemed at a higher rate than cash if done well.  So many people routinely get 2-3cpp on UR etc.   So on categories where you get 2 points per $ (or 5 points per $) this can easily outpace any cashback card.   However, some of the best redemptions are for premium cabin international flights or high cost hotels, and if these aren't of interest, cashback cards can do better

Message 24 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

?   Most of the constituional protections DO apply to non-citizens within the United States territories

Any textual intepretation of the Constitution is that it applies 100% for US Citizens.  Of course, there may be similar protections in US territories, but abolute Constitution rights are reserved exclusively for US citizens.  

The only argument to insist the Contitution applies "equally" to non-US citizens are the non-textual "living breathing" Constitutionalists, which I'm not.  I'd imagine, SCOTUS would rule that the Constution is absolute (law of the land) for US citizens only.

PS - The Constutiion's sole purpose (Bill of Rights in particular) is simply to state what the States or majority CANNOT do.  No law or vote can be passed that violates a person's rights protected under the Constitution.  That's it.  It's only purpose is to limit the power of the State.  In this sense, only US citizens (textual interpretation) are accorded this narrow protection.  Most laws or measures passed, the Constutition says nothing about it.  Here, this should be left to the States/territories to determine.

PS 2 - SCOTUS ruled the 2A as an indvidual right, though not absolute.  This simply means that no State can categorically deny a US Citizen from the "right to bear arms," though they may regulate it within reason.  However, they are free to (though they may allow it) deny any non-US citizens from bearing arms period, but CANNOT for a US citizen.

Message 25 of 33
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Friendly reminder... I personally love this stuff (Constitution talk, etc.) but we're getting close to that line set by the 'powers that be' that we can't cross.  Smiley Wink

We need to bring it back to discussion of points... speaking of which, I'll be the first to mention that points cards aren't for everybody - I personally like cash rewards better myself.

I do have the PRG, but I don't have it for rewards purposes (although I'm not giving my MR points away... LOL).  I much prefer the simplicity of the BCP and my other cash earning cards.  I have an account set aside just for my cash rewards, that way when the time is right they are all in one place for me to spend.  Smiley Very Happy

That being said, the 'road warriors' and people who travel for pleasure seem to get excellent value from the various 'points' cards.  Smiley Happy

edit:  can't spell today

Message 26 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

Friendly reminder... I personally love this stuff (Constitution talk, etc.) but we're getting close to that line set by the 'powers that be' that we can't cross.  Smiley Wink

We need to bring it back to discussion of points... speaking of which, I'll be the first to mention that points cards aren't for everybody - I personally like cash rewards better myself.

I do have the PRG, but I don't have it for rewards purposes (although I'm not giving my MR points away... LOL).  I much prefer the simplicity of the BCP and my other cash earning cards.  I have an account set aside just for my cash rewards, that way when the time is right they are all in one place for me to spend.  Smiley Very Happy

That being said, the 'road warriors' and people who travel for pleasure seem to get excellent value from the various 'points' cards.  Smiley Happy

+1 for the preface UncleB

Message 27 of 33
wachme
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@RM21 wrote:

Yes you get to see more sights during your drive but on the other hand I'll get to see more sights in my desired location with less time getting there in some cases 

Driving also has it's downside you know if your driving long distance you almost lose 2 days of vacay. Resting before you leave and before getting back on the road for your return trip home.

I get off the plane ready to go (fresh) and ready for an adventure

You'll spend on gas to get there and back my jet fuel was free ...Lol

The 50k points if used correctly can have a value of $0.02 or more a pcs making them have a value of 100k+ points or upwards of $1k+ 

In closing it boils down to what's best for you, where you want to go and at what out of pocket cost you're willing to pay? Not to mention the time it takes to get there and how much of that time you get to enjoy

I am a fan of driving, only because I fear flying for various reasons. However, I know you are sooo right about this. I always think about the time I could have not driving. it just hasn't bothered me more than my fear for flying.

Let's compare two cards that appear to earn at the same rate on the surface: Quicksilver vs Freedom Unlimited at 1.5%.

After ~$16,600 spent you would have earned $250 w/ Quicksilver and 25,000 points with the Unlimited once transferred to CSP.

I can now redeem that 25,000 UR for a 1 way business class trip or round trip in domestic on United Airlines anywhere in the U.S. Business class on United can go as high as $650 (more or less) one way. 

$250 might get you one way in domestic depending on the destination (usually shorthaul). 

In the above scenario, I just redeemed what appeared to be 1.5% on the surface for ~3.9% using Ulimate Rewards. I simply get more value depending on the redemption. If we switch to international travel, forget about it, the value can increase even more. So yea, even if you substract the $95 annual fee, you're still substantially ahead in earning/redemption rate.

It took me a while when I first began my credit rewards journey to truly understand the difference. I was all about cashback, no annual fee cards which you can see from my signature. I've slowly been phasing those out for point earning, annual fee cards because I enjoy reward travel in comfort. YMMV of course and it's all about your comfort level and goals in deciding which scenario is best for you.

Message 28 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

But...but...but....Consitituional Law is my speciality Smiley Wink

I do need to add re: driving vs flying.  Perhaps cops can't legally violate your rights, but if you think they DON'T violate rights, you're not paying attention.

(To bring it back on-topic)

Which is why it's better to carry cards over cash...at least for now.

Message 29 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

But...but...but....Consitituional Law is my speciality Smiley Wink

I do need to add re: driving vs flying.  Perhaps cops can't legally violate your rights, but if you think they DON'T violate rights, you're not paying attention.

(To bring it back on-topic)

Which is why it's better to carry cards over cash...at least for now.

Spelling isn't though... Smiley Very Happy

Topic:

Points and cash back chasing get some in a lot of trouble... Me? I'm just saying more more more!!!

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.