cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the big whoop with the emv chip?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's the big whoop with the emv chip?

Exactly 
@Anonymous wrote:

@Booboo71 wrote:

Well you should get an RFID protected wallet so that you protect the chip in your credit card! People can pick up your chip and duplicate the card! Not that safe of an upgrade. My opinion.

Except you can do chip without RFID (and in fact, American banks have opted for this route for various reasons).

Exactly and this whole notion that there are people stealing credit card information via RFID is way overblown.  Booboo71, I'm willing to bet that you don't have any card that has RFID.  most of us don'

Message 31 of 40
Booboo71
Established Contributor

Really? Is that in place now? I know two people who have had their chips obtained from someone picking up the information while they had the cards in their posession. Still I think having an RFID wallet is important and just an added security for one's self. I bought one recently from Tumi luggage. Just my 2 cents!

Message 32 of 40
Booboo71
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Exactly 
@Anonymous wrote:

@Booboo71 wrote:

Well you should get an RFID protected wallet so that you protect the chip in your credit card! People can pick up your chip and duplicate the card! Not that safe of an upgrade. My opinion.

Except you can do chip without RFID (and in fact, American banks have opted for this route for various reasons).

Exactly and this whole notion that there are people stealing credit card information via RFID is way overblown.  Booboo71, I'm willing to bet that you don't have any card that has RFID.  most of us don'

I'm not sure but I dont want to find out to late! So my wallet is protected! The best I can!

Message 33 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Booboo71 wrote:

Really? Is that in place now? I know two people who have had their chips obtained from someone picking up the information while they had the cards in their posession. Still I think having an RFID wallet is important and just an added security for one's self. I bought one recently from Tumi luggage. Just my 2 cents!

Don't want to argue but I've heard other people say that they had their info stolen from a 'reader' when the card that was compromised wasn't RFID capable.  It's a big myth due to some YouTube videos and couple articles that this was/is happening.  Most often people have no clue how their cards were compromised.  There are very few RFID cards in existence. The wallet may give you peace of mind and that's fine but I doubt any cards you're putting in it are RFID capable.  'Chips' aren't stolen like that.

Message 34 of 40
core
Valued Contributor

@Booboo71 wrote:

Still I think having an RFID wallet is important and just an added security for one's self. I bought one recently from Tumi luggage.

Looks like the credit card companies aren't the only ones with good marketing departments.

Message 35 of 40
Booboo71
Established Contributor

@core wrote:

@Booboo71 wrote:

Still I think having an RFID wallet is important and just an added security for one's self. I bought one recently from Tumi luggage.

Looks like the credit card companies aren't the only ones with good marketing departments.

What is that suppose to mean?  I'm only saying someone should consider protecting their information. also if you have a passport that has a chip in it to. No marketing here just providing a different outlook on the subject.

Message 36 of 40
core
Valued Contributor

Not you.  I meant "they" convinced you to buy something.  Lots of people making money off this whole scheme.

Message 37 of 40
Booboo71
Established Contributor

@core wrote:

Not you.  I meant "they" convinced you to buy something.  Lots of people making money off this whole scheme.

Oh sorry! Actually I looked into it, so I convinced myself!

Message 38 of 40
slicemans
Regular Contributor

Who still issue RFID credit cards? I have not seen one in years

Message 39 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@slicemans wrote:

Who still issue RFID credit cards? I have not seen one in years

My AmEx BCE (with EMV) and Diners Club cards do. I had to specifically call into the former to get it though.

Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.