cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the first step for someone with no cards?

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the first step for someone with no cards?

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Methinks my_own_fico was being a bit off facetious, maybe a little fun this weekend?  Smiley Wink

Well no, lol. It's just that not a day goes by without someone suggesting getting a secured card or becoming an authorized user and at the same time not pointing out that it tends to apply to a credit history that's not clean and calls for assistance. The thing is that income is required to get a credit card, and often that is all you need.

Message 21 of 24
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Methinks my_own_fico was being a bit off facetious, maybe a little fun this weekend?  Smiley Wink

Well no, lol. It's just that not a day goes by without someone suggesting getting a secured card or becoming an authorized user and at the same time not pointing out that it tends to apply to a credit history that's not clean and calls for assistance. The thing is that income is required to get a credit card, and often that is all you need.

The thing was, no one would approve me for any cards without A card.  If you have no score, then they want to see something.  Secured does not mean rebuilding, it means starting.

Signature needs updating
Message 22 of 24
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

The thing was, no one would approve me for any cards without A card.  If you have no score, then they want to see something.  Secured does not mean rebuilding, it means starting.

There are few cards that people can get without credit (not secured). More cards are available if you are AU on some cards, and more if you have your own, with good history/income/scores.

My DW was able to get her Discover IT students with a brand new SSN (only $500). After filling the online form they contacted her and asked for SSN card, address verification and some other things. I was able to get Discover IT without SSN (last year) for $1,000, but I had to call the 1800 number because the form didn't take my 1 month old ITIN number (they no longer give cards to people without SSN).

The great thing about BofA secured, is that you can add up to 10K to it and you will get a great limit. My DW put 5K after a few months and that helped her to get other cards with limits 5K and more. Discover stayed at $500 for 13 months until they auto-CLI to $3,000, that's the lowest limit card she has now, all other cards are 6K or more. Even JPC that started with $400 4 months after Discover now it is over 6K.

Message 23 of 24
tobey
Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

BOFA will extend a secured card to a no file absolutely no problems.

Not so sure about that. BOFA secured was the first card I applied for when I was starting out with no history 6 years ago. I got a denial letter a week later... Reason: thin file! Smiley LOL

After that, I applied for a Wells Fargo secured card. Got a letter week later saying they put my application on hold becuse they were unable to verify my identity. After I mailed in some documents, I was approved.

Starting Score: 737
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.