Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the latest with AMEX

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

What's the latest with AMEX

AMEX has seemingly changed their requirements for their cards and I'm wondering what score minimums that they are allowing for approval for their Delta Gold and PRG.

Anyone have an idea?

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: What's the latest with AMEX

Message 2 of 25
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Based on what I've read on this site/these boards, they've become less exclusive as they once were. They've become more inviting to people who have less than stellar scores and credit. 

Thoughts?

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 3 of 25
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

I haven't really seen any significant change. Rule of thumb is near excellent to excellent credit for amex approval. YMMV but they are not offering subprime products

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 4 of 25
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I wasn't indicating that they offer subprime. All I want to know is what the consensus is -from the folks here- on what the minimum scores are for AMEX.

Message 5 of 25
Luscher
Valued Contributor

I don't think there underwriting has changed. the view of amex is that they are prestigious and extremely hard to be approved for but i think since you came to the site you realize thats not true, its just the image they have built for themselves.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 6 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

When people here say that Amex has become less exclusive, they are often comparing to the somewhat distant past, rather than say last year.   At one point (and its from this period that the reputation still persists) Amex charge card was almost exclusively the province of either the wealthy or the business professional.    Now Amex is much more a mass market product (like most other cards), but again, not a recent change.

Message 7 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

You'll get answers all over the place. Without knowing the entire credit profile including assets, I cannot see how you'll get a consensus. They may not be exclusive but tbh I don't think they ever were IMO.

What seems to hold true is not bk friendly and little to no recent derogs. CS are subjective and if they approve a 620 for one app, they can just as easily deny a 675 for another
Message 8 of 25
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Regardless of mass marketing, history, distant past and all...

What is the trend seen today that would indicate a minimum score range (to be even more general and allow for error) for approval for the Delta Gold and PRG?

Message 9 of 25
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Delta would probably be 650-670 range.

Revolvers are probably 720 range.

(This is based off what Ive seen and my own personal experience.  Of course, variations in individual credit and asset portfolio will influence this (up or down).

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.