Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the latest with AMEX

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What's the latest with AMEX

@longtimelurker wrote:

Rev: the guess was that BCP went lower because of the cap introduction, reducing Amex's exposure to risk.   What happened with the SPG to make it drop?

AFAIK, while I don't explicitly remember the cap introduction I'm confident it was after the underwriting drop (~6/12).  Actually Google suggests the cap was announced 10/12, and introduced 1/15/13.  Hah funny, coincides with my approval date for said BCP. 

This is just a swag but I think it was the market recovering / macroeconmic shifts: Chase changed their underwriting almost identically on the CSP at nearly the same date at least as far as the databases and the anecdotal reports here suggested.

Evidently both lenders thought they could reach manage their risk/reward to their profit at that new lower FICO boundary; in Chase's model likely desiring to put more money in the field in their credit card portfolio also contributed.  

        
Message 21 of 25
Haroon
New Contributor

I also belive you do not need good credit for amex. As long as you dont have bad credit.  I have less then 1 yr credit history with low limit cards and a non credit card related collection and i was approved.

Message 22 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Haroon wrote:

I also belive you do not need good credit for amex. As long as you dont have bad credit.  I have less then 1 yr credit history with low limit cards and a non credit card related collection and i was approved.

For a charge card it's generally held that around 6 months revolving history is sufficient.  Been some less than that reportedly.

        
Message 23 of 25
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

The bottom line is if you want to look through the data, go to whogavemecredit and you can get your consensus. This site can better estimate your odds of being approved given your current credit situation.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 24 of 25
sjt
Senior Contributor

Since Amex uses their own Internal Scoring System, its hard to tell if you are going to be approved based on FICO scores.

I believe Amex will look at:

Credit established, the time between your last negative, unpaid collection/judgement items, utilization ratio, etc.

Credit profile trending in an upward direction

Income

Investible Assets/Banking Accounts

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.