Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,291
Registered: ‎07-23-2012
0

What's the limit for a toy card?

i was just thinking about this? under 1k 

under 500? 

or is it all perspective? 

Current: Discover Fico 709 3/15 Walmart Fico 743 4/15

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 6 TU 1 EX 6 | Most Recent: 4/09/2015
Over 12 Months:9


2015 Goals:
Lower Utility
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,963
Registered: ‎03-30-2012
0

Re: What's the limit for a toy card?

Most people would say anything under $1K...some say even under $1.5K.

Scores 5/13/2014: TU FICO: 639 | EQ FICO: 645| EX AMEX FICO: TBD

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | BarclayCard Rewards Average: $2000 | Travelocity Rewards AMEX: $1050 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Sportsman's Guide Visa: $3000 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $1600 | Target: $700 | J.Crew $9950
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,110
Registered: ‎12-29-2011
0

Re: What's the limit for a toy card?

I agree. Anything under $1k is usually considered a toy limit. If you have a long string of cards at $300, $500, $750, $800 it looks bad to other creditors. Most companies will try to match your highest limit card to compete for your business. The lowest credit line I've seen is $100! That's not even a credit line!

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 764 (EQ) 732 (EX) 757 (TU) 9/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One QS NPSL (5.0k) | Discover IT (6.0k) | Walmart Mastercard (5.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL (7.3k) | Citi Simplicity (9.3k)






Regular Contributor
Posts: 244
Registered: ‎07-29-2012
0

Re: What's the limit for a toy card?

it's more like $200-$500 range.

Anyting under $1000 is low for most

Cap1 QS $11500, Freedom $5000K, Slate $8000 Amex Sky $2000K, Discover IT $4400, BCE $8800, NFL $1500, Lowes $7000

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: 742
Goal Score: 800


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,291
Registered: ‎07-23-2012
0

Re: What's the limit for a toy card?

i believe thats what chase did. 

i had my cc from work they auto gave me 500 limit. and excited i apped for chase freedom and they matched. but since then i was pre approved and got a 2k card from the bank itself. 

 

and yes macy's gave me 100 limit when i first started. but it has grown to my highest limit at 3.5k (store version) 

 

the only toy limits i have then are. 

 

employee bank mc 500

chase freedom 500

ae(ge)400 plan on cli before jan. 

kohl's 400 not accepting cli by consumer. (thinking about closing (its already sd/no af) but will only be a year old in jan)

everything else is 2k or above. 

Current: Discover Fico 709 3/15 Walmart Fico 743 4/15

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 6 TU 1 EX 6 | Most Recent: 4/09/2015
Over 12 Months:9


2015 Goals:
Lower Utility
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000
Established Contributor
Posts: 932
Registered: ‎06-12-2012
0

Re: What's the limit for a toy card?

It's a subjective question based solely on one's own income and financial obligations. 

 

For example, a $100 bill is worth more in the eyes of a homeless man than it is to Donald Trump. A $500 limit card held by a college student making $20k/year is going to be more useful than it is to a professional making $80k/year. This is along the same lines as the 'what makes a card prime' question that comes up every month here.

JP Morgan Select $10k | Citi TY Premier $15k | PenFed PlatRewards $22k | BofA AMEX $15k | Chase Freedom $20k | Discover IT $10k | Barclay Arrival+ 25k | AMEX SPG $10k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $10k | CapOne Quicksilver $5k | Amazon Card $10k | NASA PLOC $30k @ 8.25% | Joined myFICO 6/12 with a 540 FICO & today I'm over 750!
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,963
Registered: ‎03-30-2012
0

Re: What's the limit for a toy card?


maiden_girl wrote:

I agree. Anything under $1k is usually considered a toy limit. If you have a long string of cards at $300, $500, $750, $800 it looks bad to other creditors. Most companies will try to match your highest limit card to compete for your business. The lowest credit line I've seen is $100! That's not even a credit line!


LOL...doesn't Macy's give out $100 limits to anyone with a pulse? Target isn't much better...giving $200 limits to those in the high 600's- 700's...

 

Scores 5/13/2014: TU FICO: 639 | EQ FICO: 645| EX AMEX FICO: TBD

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | BarclayCard Rewards Average: $2000 | Travelocity Rewards AMEX: $1050 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Sportsman's Guide Visa: $3000 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $1600 | Target: $700 | J.Crew $9950
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,291
Registered: ‎07-23-2012
0

Re: What's the limit for a toy card?

[ Edited ]

Jlu wrote:

It's a subjective question based solely on one's own income and financial obligations. 

 

For example, a $100 bill is worth more in the eyes of a homeless man than it is to Donald Trump. A $500 limit card held by a college student making $20k/year is going to be more useful than it is to a professional making $80k/year. This is along the same lines as the 'what makes a card prime' question that comes up every month here.


thats what i was trying to avoid prime vs sub.

this is solely for cl question. i know some people on here have cl on 20k+. 

a toy could be a macbook and that costs 2k for a standard one. 

 

 

@injustifiiable like stated macy's gave me my first non co signed card with 100 limit and now it sits at 3.5k  and they're cli are soft pull so i still see them as a plus in my book. 

Current: Discover Fico 709 3/15 Walmart Fico 743 4/15

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 6 TU 1 EX 6 | Most Recent: 4/09/2015
Over 12 Months:9


2015 Goals:
Lower Utility
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000
Highlighted
Established Contributor
Posts: 932
Registered: ‎06-12-2012
0

Re: What's the limit for a toy card?


creditnocash wrote:

Jlu wrote:

It's a subjective question based solely on one's own income and financial obligations. 

 

For example, a $100 bill is worth more in the eyes of a homeless man than it is to Donald Trump. A $500 limit card held by a college student making $20k/year is going to be more useful than it is to a professional making $80k/year. This is along the same lines as the 'what makes a card prime' question that comes up every month here.


thats what i was trying to avoid prime vs sub.

this is solely for cl question. i know some people on here have cl on 20k+. 

a toy could be a macbook and that costs 2k for a standard one. 

 

 

@injustifiiable like stated macy's gave me my first non co signed card with 100 limit and now it sits at 3.5k  and they're cli are soft pull so i still see them as a plus in my book. 


Well there is no set-in-stone limit that would differentiate between what is a toy limit and what is not. You are only going to get peoples own varying opinions. When we say toy limit we don't mean you can only buy toys with it, we mean that the limit itself is like a toy - or - the inability of the card to be useful in real life situations.

JP Morgan Select $10k | Citi TY Premier $15k | PenFed PlatRewards $22k | BofA AMEX $15k | Chase Freedom $20k | Discover IT $10k | Barclay Arrival+ 25k | AMEX SPG $10k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $10k | CapOne Quicksilver $5k | Amazon Card $10k | NASA PLOC $30k @ 8.25% | Joined myFICO 6/12 with a 540 FICO & today I'm over 750!
Regular Contributor
Posts: 244
Registered: ‎07-29-2012
0

Re: What's the limit for a toy card?

My old Target red card started with $100 in 1996 and I requested CLI got to $200 till few months ago I just closed it because I was stuck at $200 forever.

Cap1 QS $11500, Freedom $5000K, Slate $8000 Amex Sky $2000K, Discover IT $4400, BCE $8800, NFL $1500, Lowes $7000

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: 742
Goal Score: 800


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.