Did you mean: 

What's the limit for a toy card?

tag
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the limit for a toy card?

@creditnocash wrote:

@Jlu wrote:

It's a subjective question based solely on one's own income and financial obligations. 

For example, a $100 bill is worth more in the eyes of a homeless man than it is to Donald Trump. A $500 limit card held by a college student making $20k/year is going to be more useful than it is to a professional making $80k/year. This is along the same lines as the 'what makes a card prime' question that comes up every month here.

thats what i was trying to avoid prime vs sub.

this is solely for cl question. i know some people on here have cl on 20k+. 

a toy could be a macbook and that costs 2k for a standard one. 

@@injustifiiable like stated macy's gave me my first non co signed card with 100 limit and now it sits at 3.5k  and they're cli are soft pull so i still see them as a plus in my book. 

Very true.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 11 of 22
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@injustifiiable wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

I agree. Anything under $1k is usually considered a toy limit. If you have a long string of cards at $300, $500, $750, $800 it looks bad to other creditors. Most companies will try to match your highest limit card to compete for your business. The lowest credit line I've seen is $100! That's not even a credit line!

LOL...doesn't Macy's give out $100 limits to anyone with a pulse? Target isn't much better...giving $200 limits to those in the high 600's- 700's...

Haha basically! I started out with $100 at Macys--card is at $1k now. I don't think they periodically review accounts like they say...I had to call to inquire about it.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 12 of 22
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

By the title I thought you were taking about a Toys R Us card lol I think anything under 1000 CL would be considered a "toy" limit. An "ideal" limit I believe is 5k and up Smiley Happy

Full on Garden Mode (•‿•)
Message 13 of 22
calihlove75
Established Contributor

What I consider toy or low limits has evolved over time .I remember when Amazon store card gave me $1000 and I thought that was the coolest thing. When Chase Freedom started me out at $3000, I remember coming on here and hyperventilating like I struck gold. When NFCU started me at $9000, I felt like I surpassed some magical plateau in my credit journey.  A few weeks ago, I applied for the Walmart Discover and they started me at $2000 and I had that  'what, that's all I get' attitude..lol.. and called and they upped to $5000. I imagine someone will those $20,000 + lines would consider some of my credit cards as toy limits!

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 14 of 22
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

all cap one cards except for like 2.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 15 of 22
ItchyAppFingers
New Contributor

I have to agree with JLU. YMMV on this topic but i am a full time college student working part time so making around 18k or less and I have various credit lines starting from my very from my very first credit card (orchard bank) $400 (never grew) Smiley Sad to Capital one $500, Sony card $500, BOA $1,000, BBRZMC $800, Chase Freedom $800, Chase Amazon Visa $800 (chase matched up the cards) Amex Zync $500, Amazon Store Card $1,200, Macy's Store Card $1,500, Bloomingdales $400, Kohls $400, and my new Discover IT $1,700. I am more than content with my present credit lines at the moment due to my income. I use my credit wisely to what I can afford to pay in full on a monthly basis. To you it may look like toy limits but its all in the income too and scores. I know some of these cards will grow with me probably after college when I start working my profession and have more of an income. Again, everyones MMV depending on their situation Smiley Wink
My Current Plastic: {Amazon Store Card} {Amazon Visa} {Amex Zync} {Amex Gold PRG} {Amex BCE} {Bloomingdales} {BOA 123 Cash Rewards} {Capital One Platinum Visa} {Chase Freedom Visa} {Discover IT} {Kohls} {Macy's} {Nordstrom} {SonyCard Visa} {Target RedCard}
Message 16 of 22
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

@ ItchyAppFingers: First, awesome name. Second, congrats on the Discover IT Smiley Happy

Full on Garden Mode (•‿•)
Message 17 of 22
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

I think the lowest card open limit is $50, because the merchant agreement states that all offline (when the merchant is unable to reach the visa or MC network for approvals) purchases of $50 or less are automaticly approved if its more you will have to call in and get approval for the purchases, this was about 8 years ago so it may of gone up by now. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 18 of 22
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Lowest card limits I've personally had is $250.  It's not really "useless" unless it's combined with an AF, then it's just shooting yourself in the foot to rebuild your credit.  I used it for small purchases until my score improved.  My highest limit ever is my CSP and it's probably due to the fact I have a relationship with Chase (car loan).  I've never seen anyone with a lower CL than $250.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say a card has a toy limit if it doesn't provide enough credit for the customer to comfortably charge and pay-in-full his monthly expenses with one payment.  If you charge between $300-$500 per month, then a $1000 limit isn't really a toy limit.  If you charge $3,000 to $5,000 per month, then that $1,000 absolutely is a toy limit.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.