Frequent Contributor
TheConductor

Re: What's the limit for a toy card?

I would say a card has a toy limit if it doesn't provide enough credit for the customer to comfortably charge and pay-in-full his monthly expenses with one payment.

If we're looking for a reasonably objective definition of "toy limit", I'd say this is it.

There's still going to be some variance based on one's lifestyle and geographic location, but this makes a good rule of thumb.

Could the average single person put all of their monthly expenses other than rent/mortgage on that card and be within that limit? If not, it's a "toy" limit.

For a college kid spending a gap year living in Thailand, that $500 Capital One card is hardly a "toy" limit since her expenses are easily going to fit within that limit.

But for any typical single person living in a mid-size or larger US city, however, the same card is probably a "toy".

As for those who adjust their perception of toy limits as their own credit limits increase, I respectfully submit that perhaps we should have a different term. When your max limit is $9000 and you get a $2000 CL on a new card, that's not really a useless limit, but it certainly feels like an affront.

Ergo, I suggest that perhaps the true bon mot for those situations is: insulting limit.  :smileylol:

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12)
Current: EQ 674 (myFICO 8/14/14), EX 694 (Prosper 7/17/14) , TU 688 (WalMart 8/5/14) Goal: 700+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Amex Zync NPSL (> 10k), C1 Venture VS $5k, Amex SPG $4.5k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Walmart (Store) $1.6k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Best Buy Rewards MC $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k
Valued Contributor
creditnocash

Re: What's the limit for a toy card?

TheConductor wrote:
I would say a card has a toy limit if it doesn't provide enough credit for the customer to comfortably charge and pay-in-full his monthly expenses with one payment.

If we're looking for a reasonably objective definition of "toy limit", I'd say this is it.

There's still going to be some variance based on one's lifestyle and geographic location, but this makes a good rule of thumb.

Could the average single person put all of their monthly expenses other than rent/mortgage on that card and be within that limit? If not, it's a "toy" limit.

For a college kid spending a gap year living in Thailand, that $500 Capital One card is hardly a "toy" limit since her expenses are easily going to fit within that limit.

But for any typical single person living in a mid-size or larger US city, however, the same card is probably a "toy".

As for those who adjust their perception of toy limits as their own credit limits increase, I respectfully submit that perhaps we should have a different term. When your max limit is $9000 and you get a $2000 CL on a new card, that's not really a useless limit, but it certainly feels like an affront.

Ergo, I suggest that perhaps the true bon mot for those situations is: insulting limit.  :smileylol:

lol thank you for this. 

500 on one cards is too little for me for obv reasons. 

i pay about 1000 a month in bills not including regular spendings. 

but im just as fine as putting it through debit vs credit but im trying to build credit.

my debit card has a 10000 limit for purchases. so its like an automatic charge card =)

Current: Discover Fico 689 8/14 Walmart Fico 697 8/14

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 2 TU 0 EX 0 | Most Recent: 09/04/2013
2 Inquiries in The Last 12 Months

2014 Goals:
Lower Utility

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$2900
Citi Diamond Preferred$6000
Citizens Mastercard$7000

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+